New Locomotive Question

Ogurr38

I recently purchased a Bachmann EMD GP40. I've been following the break in instructions but the more I run it the louder it gets. Sometimes when it is making the noise it sounds & acts like something is slipping. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to try to fix it ?

Is it DC or DCC? I had purchased a DCC Bachmann GP-38 and it ran terrible.
It's the same as the GP40 except a different shell. Bypassed the factory
DCC decoder and ran it on straight DC. Ran nicely throughout the speed
range and quiet. Tossed the factory decoder and replaced it with an NCE
decoder and now runs as it did when set up for DC.
It is DC. The more I run it the worse it gets to the point it has to barely move to be quiet

I recently purchased a Bachmann EMD GP40. I've been following the break in instructions but the more I run it the louder it gets. Sometimes when it is making the noise it sounds & acts like something is slipping. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to try to fix it ?
One of the potential problems could depend on how old your unit is.

Some older Bachmann N-scale diesels could be quite noisy, almost to the point of sounding like an electric razor. If you could post a few pictures of the frame without the shell on it, we might be able to determine its age for starters.

If under warantee, send it to Bachmann repair Dept... I think it's $60 if not under warantee.. Certain situations they may send you a completely new loco instead of repair..... Go online to "Bachmann Trains"..It's all there...

Last edited:

Back