New layout

n-scalejohnnie

I wanted to thank all those who gave me suggestions and links that helped me design my n scale layout. It is a 28x60 inch layout that lies next to my HO 4x8 foot finished layout. Here are some pics of the work that I have done the last week or so check it out if you plaese. I have 3 turn offs. 2 are for industry, and the last heads straight to the wall in case I can convince the wife to letting me tunnel through to her sewing room. I'm planning on modeling an N scale circus. Any help available on how or where to purchase a tent and or wagons. I'll paint my own rolling stock. Again, thanks for all your help
N-Scale Johnnie

Looking good Jonnie!! Hopefully the wife lets you tunnel through, that would be sweet!! :D

Just tell her if she lets you, it will mean you guys could spend more time together, cuz you will be in the same room, you working on an extension of the layout while she sews, its a win win hehe :D

Nice layout, N-Scale Johnnie! I'm hoping someday to redo my 4x4 layout and relieve some of the congestion. Good luck with the scenery. Is it based upon any particular part of the D&H?

No it's not on any one part of the D and H. I'm origianlly from upstate NY who fell in love with the trains around the area.

Our family farmstead in PA has the old D&H Right of Way across the road. My basement train area is decorated with a tie and a 3 foot section of rail (heavy) that I dragged home with me on seperate occaisions, not to mention assorted spikes and pieces of coal that my 7 year old picked up along the roadbed as well :D.

I was going to ask the same question as Joe. Those grades look way too steep to be useable by more than a locomotive and a few cars. Since the grade isn't crossing over any other tracks, why have it all? It makes layout operation a lot more difficult for no real gain. Since you're using foam, you can carve streams into the foam if you want bridges and use cut pieces of foam to build up terrain around the tracks. You'll be able to give the illusion of your train working rugged country without the penalty of a steep grade.

Thanks for the tip. Thats what I'm planning on doing. The grade, (% unsure) will be lowered once I dig out for the stream. Thats for the help thats why I love this place everyone is more than helpful

Thanks for the tip. Thats what I'm planning on doing. The grade, (% unsure) will be lowered once I dig out for the stream. Thats for the help thats why I love this place everyone is more than helpful

That almost looks like a 20% or better grade there (Just an uneducated guess :rolleyes:) which would be pretty ambitious for any locomotive. I run alot of steam on my layout and anything out of level causes me problems if I'm trying to pull a string of cars. My diesels are much better suited for the task. ;)

Back