New Layout / Marklin 'M' Track 8' x 4'...And Busy !!!

Trigster

Greetings...After too many years I'm finally setting up a new 8 x 4 layout...I thought I'd post a diagram
and any input or opinions are most welcome...I do have a wiring question but it's a pretty simple one so
I think it'll suffice that I ask it here...I can always ask in the 'Wiring' Section if need be later...

Ever since I learned at an early age how to interconnect 3 Mains with Double Slip Switches I've been kind'a
hung up on that element in my layouts...I've also always strived that a layout be Bi-Directional...

Wiring: Specifically the Hot Tracks...There are 11 Hot Tracks and Three 32a Transformers...I'm planning on
feeding 3 Buses for the Hot Tracks with 22 AWG and then feed each of the HT's with 24g from the buses...
No individual run of wire on the layout will be in excess of 6' with most being about 2' to 4'...

The 3 Mains are all isolated and the 3 yards + 1 siding are all isolated...None of my rolling stock has lighting
and I generally don't run terribly long trains...Maybe 3-4 Passenger or 6-8 Freight cars at the most...I only
run a single train per line...I'd say I'm fairly gentle on equipment and never really push anything very hard...

So in there is the question ?

Does anyone see an under powered problem with 22g to the buses and 24g out to the feeders ???
Also, for me smaller is better as everything is on the deck...No Wiring Under The Board...Not Possible...

So Here It Is...Did I mention it's busy :)...And no matter which way I slice it the grades will be 4%(+-) a bit...
The Blue is elevated and the Yellow will be a Station...Any Comments Appreciated...Sorry to be so wordy !!! Trig :)

BestNewBase4.jpg

Welcome Trig ....

Very European with lots of tracks and trains going all over the place - I like it!

I think that you may be a might under size on the wire size, but I will allow those with more experience than I to comment.
12 or 14 could run a one horsepower motor - overkill!

The general rule of thumb, wiring wise, is 12 or 14 gauge wire for the main bus and 18 - 20 gauge for feeders.

Welcome Trig ....

Very European with lots of tracks and trains going all over the place - I like it!

I think that you may be a might under size on the wire size, but I will allow those with more experience than I to comment.
12 or 14 could run a one horsepower motor - overkill!

Thanks Much Guys...I ask primarily because years ago I had a similar, larger, 6 x 9 layout that was wired totally with 24g...There were however 2 or 3
spots on the layout where I couldn't get the Loco's to reverse correctly...Not Enough Juice...I'll probably end up somewhere in the middle and go with
16/18 to the buses and 20/22 to the feeders...Should be interesting in the next few months...Trig :)

So in there is the question ?

Does anyone see an under powered problem with 22g to the buses and 24g out to the feeders?
Also, for me smaller is better as everything is on the deck...No Wiring Under The Board...Not Possible...
If I am interpreting the 32a transformer to be the Marklin 6000 series of 32VA supplies then, "No, no issues with what you've proposed". However going up one size for each couldn't hurt, 18 gauge would be ideal.
http://www.digitaltog.dk/maerklin_digital/DK_Vejledninger/Maerklin_transformator_6647.pdf
Since you are talking about straight AC power here, it does not have any signal issues like command control systems do. I assume one 32a is going to be for each bus and hence each loop. How are you going to pass trains between the power supplies. Are you rigging up a cab control type system, or just going to let the trains pass from one power supply to the next?

On the other hand if the 32a somehow means the Marklin #60215 digital system, then I do not know anything about how to engineer it's power distribution wiring.

If I am interpreting the 32a transformer to be the Marklin 6000 series of 32VA supplies then, "No, no issues with what you've proposed". However going up one size for each couldn't hurt, 18 gauge would be ideal.
http://www.digitaltog.dk/maerklin_digital/DK_Vejledninger/Maerklin_transformator_6647.pdf
Since you are talking about straight AC power here, it does not have any signal issues like command control systems do. I assume one 32a is going to be for each bus and hence each loop. How are you going to pass trains between the power supplies. Are you rigging up a cab control type system, or just going to let the trains pass from one power supply to the next?

On the other hand if the 32a somehow means the Marklin #60215 digital system, then I do not know anything about how to engineer it's power distribution wiring.

Hello & Thank You...Everything is totally analog and the trains will simply pass from one supply to the next...Three 6646 32a Transformers...And as I've been studying I agree that
I'd run into issues if I was to ever go 'Digital'...Eckert's-Engineering seems comfortable with 22g to the feeders and I am going to use 18g to the buses...Past that I think my biggest
challenge is going to be keeping the control wires for the switches sorted out !!!...Also, the power to the 'Yards' and the Back Siding Section (yellow) are simple On/Off switches via a
control box connected to the Transformer powering the inner loop...With the same caveat of 'One Engine Only' running on any single loop at any time...Trig :)

Back