New layout in garage in Florida?

thunder60

LIRR HO
We just moved to Florida from New York and I had to leave my layout behind. I'd like to build my next (and hopefully last) layout in my garage. What do you guys think about temps and humidity? Also benchwork? It seems that 2" foam is the new thing to lay track on but I'm used to plywood ,but it seems the foam might be better for prevention of expanding problems.Any help or tips would be appreciated. Thanks

We just moved to Florida from New York and I had to leave my layout behind. I'd like to build my next (and hopefully last) layout in my garage. What do you guys think about temps and humidity? Also benchwork? It seems that 2" foam is the new thing to lay track on but I'm used to plywood ,but it seems the foam might be better for prevention of expanding problems.Any help or tips would be appreciated. Thanks

As most that have been on this forum as long as I have know that my layout is in a metal building. It's 14ft high at the peak, 24ft wide & 40 ft. long.
It gets down to 30* sometimes in the winter & up to 110* in the summer in my building. I've built 3 layouts in this building. I use steel tables welded together & plywood tops made out of 4 ply.(roofing plywood)
I have a medium sized propane gas heater I use in the winter & a 3ft. exhaust fan to pull the heat out of the ceiling & 3 more fans at floor level.
I tried foam for the base & had tons of problems w/warpage. That's why I use plywood. I leave very slight gaps in my code 100 flex track & put it on a cork roadbed. I don't glue it down. I use nails.

Larry

That's how I built my layout in NY. I used on open frame wood sub structure with 1/2 inch plywood,but I glued the cork to the plywood and nailed the track down.I did solder all the joints though.

Welcome, to Florida! My layout is in the room added to the back of the garage! I'm in the process of finishing it out, as soon as the next mowing season starts. I add more bracing here and there to compansate for movement! Sealing up the garage and adding a dehumidifier in the garage does wonders! If you have a out building built....make sure it is hurry-can proof!

Back