New layout help

Perry

Hi all, I am track planning my first layout. I bought the M-1 basic Kato oval and the V-10 expansion. Then I was giving a bunch of Atlas track with some turnouts. My thought was to have two separate blocks and two trains running at the same time. I would like to have two spurs using the turnouts so I have a couple switches to operate on the Atlas track and one spur coming off the Kato track to the outside giving me 3 switches. I would like a tunnel on the left end. Time period is WWll and location is southern Utah canyon lands. My locomotive is a DCC equipped Bachmann N 51459 Baldwin 4-6-0. I don’t see any need for DCC on this small layout though. I might if the loco had sound but it doesn’t. My limitations are space and my ability to reach the middle from a sitting position (wheelchair). Please look at this temporary layout and tell me if you see any potential problems. Once I have the layout planed I will build the benchwork using 1x4s and foam. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
tr1.jpg
TR2.jpg

I don't see why you couldn't/shouldn't mix the two scales if it suits your purposes. As long as you understand that the N scale items will appear to be the size of theme park items near a real railroad...all in scale. but if you keep the power to them separated, say via a toggle switch, you can operate them separately. If you want them operating concurrently, they'll all have to move in the same direction at the same time, or else you'll need a reversing toggle such as a DPDT.

My thought was to have two separate blocks and two trains running at the same time.
So the twice around track with the Kato, and a single loop with the Atlas. Seems good to me. You do have two controllers correct? Of course, I'm prejudice, I've always liked twice around arrangements.

Please look at this temporary layout and tell me if you see any potential problems. Any input would be appreciated.
To me it looks like the hardest part will be cutting in that Atlas turnout into the Kato track. Certainly doable but will probably take some cutting/fitting. Other than that, it looks like you have avoided putting track in the center where reach would be a problem.

Your accessibility problem could be alleviated with an around the walls, shelf style layout. That would only entail two problems.
1. A lift-out/ tilt out for access to the center,(minor) and
2. I looked at your first picture, and clearing the walls might be a MAJOR task.

Are you planning on 2 different scales, or using 2 different types of track, Kato and Atlas? I've found in HO that if you take the Kato connector off, you can connect the Kato track to Atlas track, with an Atlas rail joiner if you are careful, and shim the Atlas track properly. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Perry, you might look into the myriad of 'how to' books/videos in this forum, or say, on Youtube on 'building small train layouts' before committing to this. There may be other plans lurking for the same given space you might get some extra ideas from..If you stick with the unballasted track in the middle you might consider having it go up a grade to act perhaps as a logging line or aggregate works line, taking logs or stone down to the main line, ballasted Kato track. This would add some more drama to the pike + more RR duties for you...M
PS. I changed some wording from yesterday as it sounded condescending, and which is not my intention whatsoever...M

Last edited by a moderator:

Back