New Layout From Woodland Scenics

loosecaboose

I am new to model railroading and my son, 11, has decided he wants to start a layout for Christmas. We went to the local Hobbytown USA and the salesman sold me on the Woodland Scenics "Scenic Ridge" N scale layout. My son loves the display they have setup in the shop. I am pretty mechanically inclined, artistic and creative with my hands. I also build custom homes for a living. I read the manual on line and spoke at great length with the salesperson about this layout. Seems like a lot of work but my son and I are up for the challenge. Does anyone have any experience with this layout kit? If so, could you relay any tips that might help make the process easier. The layout is 3x6. Thanks for any help!

If you were in construction, it will be a snap. So the best advise is take it step by step. Follow, the instructions, but also before you move ahead, tell us what you plan to do. We might have some short-cuts or better methods. Think calling the cabinet maker while the drywall is being plastered.

I've helped put a few of the HO WS layouts together. It's just a mater of building a good table for it and then following the instructions. Fitting all the pieces together is dead easy and you have a nice beginning with your grades in place and then you can start on the details. The WS modules make it easier to get the basic form of the layout down but you still have to add the scenery, buildings, and track. None of it is hard but it does take time and care so don't rush it and you'll end up with a decent little layout.

I bought the scenic ridge and built it with no problem as a novice. It really is a great teaching tool for the novice. You can vary from the plan some what when building the mountain as far as the shape and height and so forth.

Back