New Layout for LASM

I enjoy traveling the back roads of Central Wisconsin and I'm amazed at what I find like old bridges, structures and how Mother Natural takes over in time. We stopped for lunch in a small town on the way to the cabin and the buildings on main street are dated from the late 1800's and are still in great condition while the newer buildings are already show signs of age and need repairs.

I toured an old SOO Line depot last year and the interior is almost like it was in the 1800's and shows little wear and tear.

Near my home there's an old turntable pit but no signs of an engine house or other buildings.

On one road trip I discovered an abandoned town with no signs of any businesses in any of the buildings, just vacant store fronts and empty filling stations. Just a couple of homes with people living in them.

Greg

Patrick and Greg, interesting thoughts, thanks for commenting! I got the first little building for the module ready, looks "cute" I don't mind saying

IMG_0595.jpg

here shows the tar paper ready to go on. I used a fork to make some nail indentations (probably doesn't show up well) and ended up using gorilla glue to get to adhere, for some reason the elmers mix did not work. They are scale 3' wide and here I am checking them. It is paper towel with the flat black spray paint.

IMG_0596.jpg

Here is the whole thing, with windows and chimney from Tichy. They have the most reasonable postage and ship quickly as well. For model railroad stuff they are great!

Here is the closeup. Look back in the posts to see the photograph I was copying.

IMG_0598.jpg

Pretty much it for this building. I will be using kits for the depot, from the NPRHA I found most of the other buildings for this project. They should get here next week.

THANKS for viewing, Dave

Thank you. SF Willie also squared me away with a link.
Just wanted to see if the original the roofing wrong too....:rolleyes:

I was surprised they ran the roofing that way, usually it is applied in strips from the bottom up. At first I wondered if it was some type of metal but pretty sure rolled asphalt.

I have some more progress to report, began on the depot building for the Groningen depot. Turns the "east Helena" depot is very similar, if not the same plan, as the one I am modeling:

depot.PNG

The kit for this depot is available through the Northern Pacific Railroad Historical Association, along with several other buildings I will be including in the module.

Here is the photo of the prototype I am modeling:

prototype.PNG

Here is the kit, along with some of the work I have completed, the prototypical colors for the era 1917-1939 in described as Indian Red and Bottle Green. I would like the colors to appear like they have weathered a few years:

packaged depot.JPG

The package as received, also a group of shingles separetly included

depot components.JPG

The components spread out.

painting.jpg

The painting project underway. I first sprayed a layer of tan paint over all to seal and also create an interior neutral color.

This is what the module looks right now. I am storing a bunch of my cars on it, however the pump house is there:

module.JPG

THANKS for looking! Dave

Thanks, Alan. I was disappointed to find some of the details to not match the photo, however the roof line and dimensions are very similar.

I think my prototype may be a slightly earlier version of the company depot purchased. I have decided to go with it anyway.

A couple differences, first board and batten siding vs. horizontal lap, two windows in the end rather than one, and the boxed sofit verses exposed rafters.

Here is my progress, the kit is WELL MADE and the parts fit perfectly. Even the window panes fit exactly in the space. A couple winow frames are a millimeter off or so of the opening, however that can be filled in with paint:

IMG_0652.jpg

First couple walls fitted and glued

IMG_0653.jpg

Will let these set before I get too carried away. The partition is just for extra strength

IMG_0654.jpg

This is how far I got. I will be making a custom base to fit the photograph and getting the roof done, then set it on the module to enjoy!

Dave

THANKS Sherrel, for checking it out! I made a bunch more progress today, got the roof in place, trim boards, and the shingles are applied,

came up with a neat technique for making a real asphalt appearance on the shingles:

First, I sprayed the sheet with flat black, then sprinkled (using a kitchen strainer) some fine dry clay, and finished with some more light coat of black spray paint.

I blew off the excess clay between steps and at the end:

IMG-0454.JPG

This shows the sheet of shingles and the mid process, the excess clay is blown off.

IMG-0455.JPG

Here the roof pieces are placed on the building. They came complete with the etched lines. Really helps with placement!

IMG-0456.JPG

Here the shingles are being applied. I cut them close to length and trim one end. They are self adhering, however I put a light coat of glue on the roof to "make sure" they don't give way

IMG-0458.JPG

This shows the final effect. I still have to make the base and add several details before it is completed.

THANKS for looking! Dave

Yeah - Great Looking!
I'm sorta surprised though - I thought the shingles would be wood?
What color is that red that you used on the siding? I have a dollhouse that I need to complete and I am trying to decide a color for siding and trim.

THANKs guys for the compliments on the shingles. These were the prototype that came with the kit. Maybe the asphalt were more fire resistant?

Sherrel, the paint is Tamiya XF-7, flat red.

thanks, Greg. It was fun and pretty easy as well. What really helped was the pieces fit together very well.

Not sure how much faith I have in the parts that were peel and stick. I usually add some gorilla glue (very light coat) to make sure the adhesion does not give way.

Back