New Layout for LASM

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Here is some more progress on the window display.

1. I adhered the track to the wood using some glue product purchased at Michaels. I mainly wanted the container, however it contained tacky glue and I spread that out on the board and placed the track on it.

2. I got the track straight and put a nail holding each end so the track wouldn't move while I got the ballast spread on

3. I sprinkled on the ballast over a piece of cardboard and after letting it sit let the excess run off

4. It looks like I will be adding more ballast, however at least there is a base down and the track is well affixed to the board.

IMG_1228.JPG
IMG_1229.JPG
IMG_1230.JPG
IMG_1231.JPG


It is not usual you have the opportunity to turn the track sideways like this. If this were nailed on the layout, you would have to vacuum the excess.

Dave
 
Hi again, here is a photo of the track with the ballast applied and the weathered track and ties. Just the dust from the ballast was enough to bring out the grain:

The top and inside top edge of the track is meant to be shiny, as on real rails that part usually is if the track is used regularly.

Both sides of the track are meant to have a rusty appearance, as well as the tie plates.

IMG-0277.JPG



I had to put down a little more glue water mixture with a dropper and add a little more ballast to fill in some gaps, however the technique used here worked out pretty well. The tie plates were meant to get the rusty rail paint and it shows up better on some ties than others.

Incidentally, I did not notice the broken off stakes in the stake pockets of the flat car until I took the closeup photo. Funny how it takes a camera shot to get a really critical view.

For my next steps I will be assembling the freight cars and painting the loco, and adding them to the track
 
Well the track part is completed, unless maybe add a little green or grass in the center area, will now begin getting the freight cars and locomotive prepared.

The time era for the display is 20's and would like to keep to a Northern Pacific theme as much as possible, however other road names would have been seen on this track.

I found this single sheath box car on ebay and it is a pretty easy assembly project.

1. check out the pieces
2. paint the underside pieces
3. procure couplers (Kadee #5)
4. assembly
5. light wash/weathering
6. add to display

The first couple steps:
IMG-0283.JPG
IMG-0284.JPG
IMG-0285.JPG
IMG-0286.JPG


The weights will be cleaned up and painted as well, and the trucks that were included will be cleaned up and sprayed along with the weights.
 
Well I got the car assembled and on the track. Those tiny springs above that go in the trucks are more of a challenge than I remember, but they do look nice. Although, it takes microscopic vision to notice them!

1. The small parts above (except springs and screws) were spray painted the flat black, along with the weight

2. The door was assembled. Notice the couplers have not been attached yet. The instructions recommend they are earlier but i think it works best to wait until you are almost done.

3. The tabs on the top slide did not fit in well. Ended up cutting off the ears of the final tab and glueing on with super glue.

4. I applied a wash of water, 1/2 teaspoon 70% alcohol, and a couple drops of the light tan paint with a sponge to dull the finish and add some "dust/dirt" wear to the factory finish. I did this prior to affixing the box car to the floor.

Lastly, the break wheel and trucks (with springs assembled) are added. Again, the screw holding the trucks in did not go in easily so I reamed it out some with the exacto knife.
IMG-0288.JPG
IMG-0290.JPG
IMG-0296.JPG
IMG-0297.JPG
unnamed.jpg
 
Thanks, Guys! Here are a couple photos may be of some help, one showing how fine the #5 kaydee couplers fit in the pockets, the other shows the tiny springs that go together to make the trucks, luckily they included several extras.

I put them on the tip of the exacto knife then compress to fit in between a couple tabs:

IMG-0300.JPG
IMG-0301.JPG
IMG-0303.JPG


The springs add a nice detail, however once everything is assembled they are almost impossible to see.

Sherrel, you are 100% correct in that I did jab my finger with the exacto knife while working on this project!!!!
 





ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Top