New Broadway Limited EMD SW1500 Switcher Squeaking

Rabman

So I was just at the Greater Toronto Train show yesterday and bought a new Broadway Limited EMD SW1500 switcher locomotive off a booth for cash.

Very nice little locomotive. At least I think so.

2E427CC1-7F86-4D8C-8981-EECF6AF18815.jpeg

I don’t know anything about locomotive maintenance just yet. At least not the model railroad kind.

The problem I have it has a noticeable squeaking sound when running around the track. Anything I can do? Is there lubrication that is regularly required in the drivetrain?

I paid cash and don’t have a receipt so warranty is probably out of the question.

Last edited:
You would need to remove the shell, and apply a drop of light oil to the motor and worm bearings.
Many of these engines are shipped "dry," especially after some overlube problems a number of years ago.

The problem I have it has a noticeable squeaking sound when running around the track. Anything I can do? Is there lubrication that is regularly required in the drivetrain?
short answer is, "yes, there is regular maint required". The long answer is that I would try to figure out if the squeak is from a wheel or the actual drive train. Then I would only do the maintenance when required. Perhaps start a chart that indicates when each loco has been serviced against hours run time, so you can determine when it might need it again. Not as often as you think. I've seen some people lubricate so often the locos drip for fling oil/grease off of them.

If it is just a wheel squeaking, they make an axle lube that comes in squeeze bottles such that you can get the needle into the bearing without disassembling the unit. There are many brands but Labelle is a well known and reliable one like this https://labelle-lubricants.com/shop/labelle-108-fine-oil-for-z-n-and-small-ho-locos/. Absolutely do NOT NOT NOT use something like WD-40. I have a set of lubricants with various sizes of needles, various oil and grease weights, and various compounds. I've even got one electrically conductive one I use on brushes, SO you can get carried away.

Last edited:
Does it only happen when applying the brakes? The shoes need wearing in then. Be careful not to get oil or grease on them.

short answer is, "yes, there is regular maint required". The long answer is that I would try to figure out if the squeak is from a wheel or the actual drive train. Then I would only do the maintenance when required. Perhaps start a chart that indicates when each loco has been serviced against hours run time, so you can determine when it might need it again. Not as often as you think. I've seen some people lubricate so often the locos drip for fling oil/grease off of them.

If it is just a wheel squeaking, they make an axle lube that comes in squeeze bottles such that you can get the needle into the bearing without disassembling the unit. There are many brands but Labelle is a well known and reliable one like this https://labelle-lubricants.com/shop/labelle-108-fine-oil-for-z-n-and-small-ho-locos/. Absolutely do NOT NOT NOT use something like WD-40. I have a set of lubricants with various sizes of needles, various oil and grease weights, and various compounds. I've even got one electrically conductive one I use on brushes, SO you can get carried away.
A quick lube job and no more squeaks. Thanks for the advice.

Some of my sound equipped, at least can make the sound as an extra. Ain't that great.

Some of my sound equipped, at least can make the sound as an extra. Ain't that great.
Yeah, I've often joked that we spent the 1980s making the locomotives run perfectly smooth and silent, then we turned around and began developing expensive electronics to make them noisy.

Even though I got rid of the real squeak, I can always turn on the fake wheel squeal. Lol

Back