New 7.5" railroad coming to Saratoga Springs Utah's Shay Park.

brandon

The Utah Valley Live Steamers have been looking for a site for a 7.5" railroad for about 10 years and Saratoga Springs in Utah was building a new 13 acre park called Shay Park because of an old railroad berm (for the Tintic mines) that cuts through the middle of the park. The Saratoga Springs planning department and City Council reworked the park design and approved the scale railroad and have given easement for about 3000' of track for a 7.5" railroad as part of the first phase of the park.

The City just threw in one twist though and although the plan was to build the railroad over the next year or two, the City is asking and hoping it will be completed by December. The City has just finished grading for the railroad and there's now plenty of work to be done. The Utah Valley Live Steamers club now has a sooner than expected need for growing membership. raising remaining funds, and installing the railroad.

UVLS is looking for people who want to help in building of the railroad from logistics of planning (double checking research, fundraising and more business type functions for the non-profit) to manual labor of building rail installing jigs and cars or installing track to even bringing out trains on weekends when it opens.

There is also talk of adding several miles of track later on along the railroad berm that extends out of the current park property on City land that they can't make any other use of, if the railroad is hugely successful (funding) in upcoming years.

If anyone wants to become a member of the club or help out in any way I'm sure the UVLS would appreciate it. You can contact Mike at UVLS or myself if you're able to help out in any way. Thanks.

The website is uvrs.org and the facebook page can be found by searching for Utah Live Steamers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is Saratoga Springs, Utah? I've been to SLC several times, as well as other parts of Utah. Good luck meeting the December deadline. What the politicians giveth; they can also taketh away. 3000' of track is nothing to sneeze at. I'd be interested in getting involved, but its a long drive from NJ.

Best Regards,
Carl

Back