New 10 x 12 Layout

esahcb

I wanted to start building my first real model railraod. However I have found it is very difficult to come up with track plans and I need help.

Requirements:
HO scale (standard gauge).
Must fit in a 10 x 12 bedroom.

Things I would like:
Focused on operation.
Option of continuous run.
Would like to run passenger and freight trains.
Era: Late 1960's to Early 1970's
Railroad: ATSF

My best suggestion is to download XTrkCAD from http://www.xtrkcad.org/Wikka/HomePage, along with Getting Started tutorial. Enter the room dimensions and the location of the door and then try some different shaped layouts to see what fits best. My preference would be for a narrow (2' wide) shelf around the room, ending in two 4'x4' squares, if you have the room. This gives you the longest mainline running and most opportunities for switching and operations.

I'll put in another plug for "102 Realistic Track Plans" by Kalmbach (Model Railroader). $7.95 at Borders.

It's good inspiration to start planning or you can copy a plan closely or you can pick one and modify it a bit.

There's a lot of expertise here so post your plan for review before you start building anything. The comments you'll get are not meant to be insulting and can save you a lot of grief. (I, for one, have made about every mistake in track planning that one can possibly make. Hopefully I've learned from all that...)

I'm still a big fan of the Heart Of Georgia layout as a small layout with operating potential. There's a Yahoo group about it. I haven't joined, but should, just to check out the files area to see how people have modified the original to fit their application.

Kerry

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HOGRR/

I really like the HOG track plan, so I am going to build the same layout with different scenery.

Does anyone have a list of how much of what track is required to build this?

I think the track requirements are posted on the HOG site. I like that layout myself, even though I am more of an Appalachian kinda guy. Give me mountains and a ton o' trees and I'm happy.

I really like the HOG track plan, so I am going to build the same layout with different scenery.

Does anyone have a list of how much of what track is required to build this?

I don't think so. Depends on scale, manufacturer, sectional track versus flex, etc. I don't think the HOG author expected that everybody would copy the plan exactly - he expected people to modify it. But you can check the HOG discussion group on Yahoo.

You can count the number of turnouts on the HOG plan and whether they're left or right and estimate how much flex track you'll need based on the size of your plan's footprint.

The HOG RR

I have built an HO scale model railroad based on the HOG RR plan. I did change it slightly to fit my era/theme (CB&Q Tenth Subdivision- Mendota, Illinios to Denrock, Illinois) and room size. I have completed the benchwork, trackwork, and installed and painted the fascia. I am now working on OPs and scenery. For me (single operator) the plan is a perfect size.

You can check it out at The CB&Q Dragonfly Sub Blog

Scott Stephenson
Geneseo, Illinois

Ot

I have built an HO scale model railroad based on the HOG RR plan. I did change it slightly to fit my era/theme (CB&Q Tenth Subdivision- Mendota, Illinios to Denrock, Illinois) and room size.

Went salsa dancing at The Roundhouse in Aurora last night - noticed a nice CB&Q caboose on display next to the BNSF / METRA tracks there.

Ok, BOT!

Back