Need some help with layout idea

OK so ive found an existing track plan, and have modified the dimensions a bit to fit better what i want. Now i wanna change the layout some and would like some opinions on what to do.

I tried to attach the pdf for the original layout design but it was to big. But i do have my layout dimensions made with (paint) lol.

So ill try and describe what i would like. I have the 2 sections of the layout labeled A & B

On side A id like a dual loop. With the outer being 26' radius and the inner being 22-24' radius. Would like a few sidings. In the middle of the loops will mainly be a small town with a few small industries.

I would like to tracks running over to side B with at lease one being a 26' radius. over on this side ill have some major industries, and is also where i want to put the yard, and maybe a turntable at the very end to get the engines turned around if needed.

Im wanting to know also what the best turnouts ect. would be for a few 80' cars and possable some of the bigger diesel engines. hopefully a 26' radius is enough for the 80 footers. Alot of the cars will mostly be flats, boxcars, gondolas. But i am wanting to do some autocars and possable some older passenger cars that would mainly sit on an old abandoned siding but be put in use once in a while.

If anyone wnats to see the original pdf ill gladly email it unless theres a way i can shrink it and make it fit here. Otherwise the original track plan is THE BENEDICT & WEXFORD. ITs one of the layouts on the model railroader files.

Im going to be going for a more modern layout, so most likely no steam engines or anything like that.

Thanks for any ideas, I think i have a pretty good idea of what i want just have no way to visualize it besides on paper, i cant figure out the track laying programs, .

Also this will be a DCC unit.

Sorry for the long post, thanks again Mike

trainlayout.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you can get to all 4 sides of Section A, you won't be able to reach over 5 feet to get to the back of the layout.

I try and use nothing smaller than a Number 6 turnout, unless it is for really small rolling stock (like a trailing spur that uses 2900 cu ft covered hoppers).

You'll find those longer cars (autoracks and long flats) are space hogs, whether they are being run or on sidings.

yes i would be able to get at section A from all sides.

And honestly im rethinking the 80' cars my self for the reason you stated. I could see if i had a gigantic layout, then it may be more feasable.

Ive been playing with the layout design & if i want 2 loops on section A then the inner loops is gonna have to go up in grade and go over the outer track or use a crossing there to get to section A. but i like the idea of going over my self, just not sure theres enough space without making the climb to steep.

Last edited by a moderator:
agreed that 5' is to far to reach. I have one corner section on my home layout where my track is 4' from the edge... Guess where all the trains like to derail? I have an access hatch for the aera but its a PITA to remove. avoid it if you can

22" radius for 80' long cars = good luck!! they will make it around but not easy. 26" would be a little better
minumum #6 turnouts

lmack the 80' cars would of only ran on the 26 radius track, but i was typing my reply while ya must of been sending yours, so if ya see this youll see i can get to all 4 sides of A and that im not sure i will end up using the 80 cars.

Cool.

I was originally working with similar dimensions, since the room I have is roughly 15.5' x 9.5' (9'x9.5' for the benchwork, to limit duckunders). If I were to use your layout, I wouldn't be able to get to more than two sides of Section A.

I have ended up going round the room, despite having to have two duckunders. It gave me more space for industries and staging. 22" is as big a curve as I'm running, so I'm limited to cars 70' and under, which is fine (no passenger service). I'll pick up an autorack to take as rolling stock when I go to a friend's or club layout.

Will you have a scenery divider on the Section A?

ICG: no i probably wont have a scenery divider for section A. as the 3 foot in between A & B is where ill be able to stand.

Ill just make the scenery work into each other. Bascily A will have a town, with a few small industries ect.. running over to side B will be just country side till it gets to The full section thatll be the yard and some major industries.

thanks for all your tips.

Back