Need long N Scale Engine shed

Olie

I'm looking for a steam era 2 or 3 stall engine shed that will fit the FEF-3 and similar locos. Everything I find in kit form only goes out to 7 1/2" inches or so. This loco with tender is over 8 1/2" (215mm) long. Anyone know of a good quality kit that is long enough to house this beast?

Well, you may have a bit of a dilemma. Typically those big engines made their home in huge roundhouses that would be very challenging and expensive to model even in N Scale. Places like Cheyenne were impressive, but also very large. Here's a photo from Ogden.
052661.jpg

To which you will likely reply "Gee, Bob, that's great, but I don't have a warehouse and a Swiss Bank Account, so you're not much help..."

OK, fine. If we assume you're modeling some remote terminal that had a small enginehouse, what do you do?

Welcome to the wonderful world of "kitbashing"! You simply buy two enginehouses, and splice them together end to end. A bit of work with your razor saw and some styrene and you've got the length you need.

As an example, this Kato structure could easily be cut at the window line and doubled up. You might have to put a new layer of "tarpaper" on the roof to hide the seam, but that wouldn't be too hard. I would cut it at the windows rather than just splicing them back to back, as it will look a lot more like it was built as one long building that way.

I would probably try to find one that's brick for a bit more mainline railroad look, but I'm not sure what all is out there in N scale.

kat23225.jpg

Olie,

I can tell you one NOT to buy :) However, to be honest with you though, and despite the likely/probable issues with these walthers kits, they would most likely be the easiest to "extend" in terms of the work that would be needed. Essentially, all you'd probably have to do is make two of them, cutting one to the length needed and leaving out one end wall of each, and join them together.

The choices when it comes to Engine Shops/Houses is pretty limited from what I saw when I was looking so I would have to agree with Bob, the Kato Kit is possibly going to be your best bet. That being said, you'd need to buy two of them and but join them to give you the length you are looking for.

The other option is to consider building one from scratch using Evergreen or Plastruct styrene/ABS "brick look" sheets and so forth to get what you are looking for. I would think there would be plenty of pictures that you could reference should you go that route. Failing that, I would go with the Kato version and modify one to suit. Not much help I know sorry.

Olie.

Why don't you try your hand at scratch building one? You did a great job on your covered bridge. This would not be a hard one to build (or it shouldn't). Now you can make it whatever length, and width you want. Plus you will have one on your layout no one else has.

Thank you everyone for your input. Holy cow Bob, Kato designers would be proud!! I have been thinking about scratch building. I have several places to get the building materials. I was just being lazy and hoping someone knew of a kit already to go. I think I will build a couple of the DPM styrene buildings I am looking at first, then decide whether to build it in plastic or laser cut wood. After dealing with the station I'm finishing, I really like the wood. I am surprised at the lack of larger sheds in N scale. Especially with the number of big steam engines available. Oh well, keeps me busy!

So, I just looked on the Walther's website. Is there any way you can fit a roundhouse in there? I'm really surprised at how cheap the kits are!

$52 for a 3 stall roundhouse, and $59 for a 3 stall add-on (Shouldn't that be cheaper than the base kit? Anyway...)

Well, I do see one problem, the turntable itself is $350, so that might be a deal breaker. Or space could be an issue.

So I wonder about this... What if you were to buy this kit?

https://www.walthers.com/3-stall-mo...-x-10cm-stall-width-at-rear-3-3-16-quot-8-1cm

$52, so not bad at all. Use the doors and stuff on the front as designed, or maybe even put some brick columns in between. Modify the back walls, but you could use the side walls, front walls interior bracing and pits etc and just build the thing as a rectangle. It would get a bit fiddly on the back wall, and you'd have to either mod the roof or build a new one, but with some creativity you could do it. Bet it would look cool.

So, I just looked on the Walther's website. Is there any way you can fit a roundhouse in there? I'm really surprised at how cheap the kits are!

$52 for a 3 stall roundhouse, and $59 for a 3 stall add-on (Shouldn't that be cheaper than the base kit? Anyway...)

Well, I do see one problem, the turntable itself is $350, so that might be a deal breaker. Or space could be an issue.

So I wonder about this... What if you were to buy this kit?

https://www.walthers.com/3-stall-mo...-x-10cm-stall-width-at-rear-3-3-16-quot-8-1cm

$52, so not bad at all. Use the doors and stuff on the front as designed, or maybe even put some brick columns in between. Modify the back walls, but you could use the side walls, front walls interior bracing and pits etc and just build the thing as a rectangle. It would get a bit fiddly on the back wall, and you'd have to either mod the roof or build a new one, but with some creativity you could do it. Bet it would look cool.
I've looked at roundhouses as well. Space would be a bit tight but I'm sure I could work something. I'm a bit leary at going with Walthers after reading all the problems people are having with warped plastic.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I like that idea. Buy the roundhouse and square it up. Use some strip styrene between the door on the front. They're done the hard part for you, making the doors and sidewalls. Modify the back walls to narrow them up, or simply build new ones. Make a new roof out of styrene and use the rest of the parts pretty much as designed.

Kind of like halfway between assembling a kit and scratchbuilding the shop. Might be a good starter for you to get into more challenging model making.

I've looked at roundhouses as well. Space would be a bit tight but I'm sure I could work something. I'm a bit leary at going with Walthers after reading all the problems people are having with warped plastic.

Oh I hadn't heard about that problem, that's not good.

flyboy,

Oooo and Fleischmann at that ... now we are talking the "cream of the crop stuff"!

Olie,

I have to side with Mike ... the bridge you built shows you can scratch build. A 3 car Engine Shop is nothing more than a rectangle with a bunch of "large windows" in it and 3 openings at either end. Nothing complicated about building one. I could scan the (cough) instructions for what I have and send them to you as a guide if you wanted.

Bob,

Nearly everyone who has had a walthers kit has similar complaints:

1. Flimsy materials/plastic used
2. Warped parts (see #1)
3. Ill fitting parts
4. Poor quality control

So when you say that roundhouse is cheap - you couldn't be more correct, just not the way you meant it. Take a look at my thread regarding my 3 Car Shop and read the comments about walthers there. I don't think there is one that doesn't contain an issue with walthers kits in general.

Reactions: bob
For a 3 stall roundhouse you could have a 3 way turnout leading to it.
https://www.reynaulds.com/catalog/dept_715.aspx
Of course, you would have to back the locomotive into the roundhouse, but we have to make sacrifices due to the space we have.
Sweet! Never knew theyt made a 3 way switch. Thanks for the link!
Olie,

I have to side with Mike ... the bridge you built shows you can scratch build. A 3 car Engine Shop is nothing more than a rectangle with a bunch of "large windows" in it and 3 openings at either end. Nothing complicated about building one. I could scan the (cough) instructions for what I have and send them to you as a guide if you wanted.

Ya, I've come to the realization that the only way I'm going to get what I want is to scratch build it. When you get the chance, no hurry, I'd appreciate the instructions you have. Any plans that can get me started would definitely help.

Olie,

Here are the "complete walthers instructions" in PDF format. If you'd prefer jpeg let me know.

Attachments

• Car Shop 1.pdf
    585.6 KB · Views: 247
  • Car Shop 2.pdf
    511.9 KB · Views: 244
I didn't know if we did or not but thought I'd give it a try. All I did was use the attachment button and bingo! Having the ability to "post" PDF Files is a bonus I think, especially for stuff like the instructions or anything written.

We support pdf files now? Cool, I hadn't tested that yet.

I guess so, I was able to open them with no issues. I think that's awesome!!

I didn't know if we did or not but thought I'd give it a try. All I did was use the attachment button and bingo! Having the ability to "post" PDF Files is a bonus I think, especially for stuff like the instructions or anything written.

Thank you!! I will have to start drawing up the plans for what I'm hoping for. Believe it or not but I've used Scarm in the past to give me a canvas to draw mock-ups of structures. Love that program....

Glad the PDF's opened okay for you. The instructions aren't that great but might give you an idea or two or a base to work from.

I have always used SCARM to put my ideas in place and for a guide to the end result. It may not be the best software to use but it is the most user friendly I think.

Back