Need info on Bachman Spectrum 0-6-0

galt904

My wife's cousin's son (got that straight? :) ) gave me all his model train "stuff" since he has neither the time nor the space for it. There was a shoebox full of sectional track, mix of brass and nickel-silver but no turnouts, an Atlas over/under pier set, a complete President's Choice set, several low-end cars and a Bachman Spectrum 0-6-0 loco. It seems to be in excellent shape and has Kadee couplers on it. What can you tell me about the quality of this little loco and what might it be worth? There is a tender in the box that has a Kadee on one end and horn-hook coupler on the other end, I'm assuming this is just a "coupler conversion" car so the 0-6-0 can pull the horn-hook equipped cars? The loco has the tank on the boiler and a wee coal box behind the cab and no room for a tender in the box, so I'm assuming the tender didn't come with it, is this correct? (Should have looked on the bottom of the tender for a brand name while I had it out :rolleyes: )

Thanks for any info.

Hi,

the Bachmann Spectrum 0-6-0 is what is referred to as a Saddle locomotive, meaning it doesn't have a tender. It was designed to work in yards to shuffle cars around. They are about 70 to 80 dollars brand new. Hard to say what it is worth depending upon condition and usage. Might try selling on e-bay or at least check e-bay to see if anyone is selling them to see what they are going for. Might start with a bid of 40 or 50. that is my guess not really heavily into steam.
The rest of what you have is fairly run of the mill product. Not worth much, especially the brass track. Not popular today.

Just my two cents, sight unseen.

I bought one of those 0-6-0's a while back and run it on our 4X7 layout. They run great as long as you keep them lubed with plastic compatable lube. I paid $50.00 for it 2nd hand. It didn't have much run time on it. You can also put a decoder in them too!

Aline

Back