Need help with Kato GE P42 Genesis with Soundttraxx Tsunami

Drumboy444

I am new to DCC and having some issues with an HO scale Kato GE P42 with Soundtraxx Tsunami Decoder. I purchased this new open box from a train show. While I have reached out to the seller, I have not yet received a response. I figured I might also try getting some assistance from the experts here in this forum. First, I want to say that I also purchased new an NCE Power Pro DCC Controller. I was able to successfully address another DCC Loco I had sitting around and was able to operate that with no issues, so don't feel it is the controller that is faulty.

The Kato model keeps showing me different addresses every time I try to read it on the Programming track. I have tried setting CV 8 to 8 and also tried NCEs recovery mode. Prior to running the recovery mode, I was periodically getting a different Manufacturer displayed on the controller and running the recovery mode appears to have resolved that. I had high hopes that the recovery mode would allow me to set a long address, but unfortunately it is not taking. I do hear sounds from the loco when I set the changes. If I had to describe the sounds it sounds like Hard Disk Drive accessing data, I had the same sounds from my other loco so figured this is normal. I then turned off the controller turned it back on, placed the Kato on the test track and it will not response to any functions on the cab controller. The track does have power for the loco produces the Deisel Engine Startup and idle sound, however, there just is no movement, light control, horn, bell, etc. Is there someone out there that may have seen this and might have a fix for me. I am hoping it is not a bad Decoder.

Thank you,
Stephen Bailey

If you have a standard DC controller, try the engine using that. If it's really been reset, and there's nothing wrong with the decoder, when you apply (lots of) power to the track, the engine should start and run.

A standard DC cont
If you have a standard DC controller, try the engine using that. If it's really been reset, and there's nothing wrong with the decoder, when you apply (lots of) power to the track, the engine should start and run.
A standard DC controller works fine, it runs, and all lights are lit.

A DC controller works fine it runs and lights up. I just don't know what it's address is to call it up I'm DCC. 3 does not work. Everytime I try to read the addresses I get different ones.

It is 161, I tried that as well, still nothing. It sits on the track cycling the deisel engine sound on/off every couple of minutes and does not do anything else.

I don’t know if this will help as I use digitrax but some systems do not like 0 as the first digit. I have to use 1610 as the alternative to 0161. Just a thought.

Sounds like you may have an intermittent contact. I had this with a Kato P42. Tried a bunch of solutions to make the frame to decoder connection more stable. Finally gave up and hard wired it. Now, runs well, and no issues with amnesia.

Back