Need help on weathering over CA glue

Seanem44

Hi guys, first post here. Recently I purchased a kato N scale CSX AC4400CW. Hard to find. Anyhow, what was stated to be new was not. I reached a compromise and kept the engine knowing it needs a little work. That's where I need advice. The previous owner decided to use CA on the front and rear rails. A fair amount of this made it on the nose (yellow yn2) and aroun the number boards. It doesn't look too bad from afar. I don't like it up close.

The question is will a heavy dose, or even a light one work some wonders? I like to weather, but haven't attempted to do so over a pool of CA.

Suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Is there any chance you can soften the CA with acetone on a Q-Tip and scrape most of it off first? Acetone will soften the CA and then you should be able to scrape a lot of it off, Just don't have the Q-Tip so saturated with the acetone that it runs off the Q-Tip.

Jim

Weathering tends to show texture... that's one of the reasons it gives a cool effect. Unfortunately it makes glue show up... as my high school shop teacher said, glue doesn't take a finish. The dullcoat might work, as might very fine sandpaper. Be careful with solvents, too much and it could attack the plastic.

I took the acetone route. I applied it to a qtip and tried on the black parts. Made short work of the ca. The nose was harder, with the inability to move the nose hand rails. With effort though, I got it to a point I thought looked good. Best part is the acetone had a fading effect on the yellow in places, so it has a weathering effect before even starting.

Next up, dullcote and some coats of heavily thinned light grey.

Back