Need help on finding rolling stock

Hawkesburytrain

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for both oil tankers and propane tankers.
Era is 1970's and pulled by Canadian Pacific in eastern Canada
Pictures would also help as I have no clue what was running during the 70's

Any help would be appreciated, THANKS

Thanks Gene, much appreciated
Most if not all of them are in the 2000's, were they the same in 1970's or late 60's?
What about tanks for propane? how to differentiate them?

What should I be ordering, any suggestions?

Thanks

Try this page.http://www.nakina.net/private/cgtx.html ...numbers in blue open to pics

image.jpeg

Thanks Gene, that really helps
Now I know it was CGTX for oil tank cars
Couldn't find anything for propane, but saw this

View attachment 57851

They are coming out in Dec 2016
Would you get this to represent Propane in Eastern Canada? They are CGTX also

Thanks for all your help

Lloyd - I am not really much help with actual Canadian rolling stock, but here are some guidelines that might help. Propane, due to it's lighter weight was generally hauled in 33,000 gallon pressurized tank cars. Liquid propane weighs 4.2 lbs. per gallon, so 33,000 gallons weighs 138,600 lbs or just under 70 tons. Oil, being heavier was usually hauled in 19,000-20,000 gallon non-pressurized tank cars. Crude oil weighs in at 7.2 lbs per gallon, therefore 19,500 gallons weighs a hair over 70 tons. There are exceptions based on the trucks/track. Add the car weight and most came up to 100 tons.
By comparison, water is 8 lbs. per gallon; olive oil is 7.6, and gasoline is 6.3. The heaviest is corn syrup weighing in at 11.46 lbs. per gallon, hence the short tankers.
In 1970, many tankers still had running boards.
Hope this information helps.

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
Im sure somebody makes these...which is a 1970s propane carimage.jpeg
I also like the one you posted....the shorter car lets you get more onto the layout.

Thanks Willie, very good info to keep in mind

Gene, thanks, last night I did lots of searches and came up with this

View attachment 57854

Did a bit of research and found out that the head office is in Montreal and is mainly used West of Quebec. So that's what I ordered

Back