NCE PHPro Wireless Throttle Keeps Shutting Down in Mid-Use

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
I've had this NCE PH Pro wireless throttle since the summer of 2009, so I don't know if it is past its expected useful life or not.

During a recent op session, I lent it to one of my guest operators and ~5 minutes later he told me the batteries were failing. This seemed a bit odd, since I always put fresh batteries into every throttle before an op session and I remembered doing so for this one. So I thought, maybe the batteries I put in were beyond their shelf life (bought the bulk-pack ~18 months ago), so I put in some new batteries from a pack that I bought a few days earlier. I never heard of anymore problems for the remainder of the session, so I figured the problem had been solved.

Today I was running a train using the same throttle, and it "went to sleep" while I was in the middle of accelerating the loco. IOW, it wasn't a time-out. I turned it back on, and it worked for a few minutes before shutting off spontaneously once again.

Do any of you NCE veterans have a clue what may be causing this? I've already ruled-out expired batteries. The only other thing I can think of is the age of the throttle itself.:confused:

Toot, I went there too myself and likewise found nothing - but I didn't notice the "submit questions" link. Thanks for pointing that out. I basically copied the text of my question above [with a few minor edits] and submitted it, we'll see what they say...

Well I got a reply to my NCE ZenDesk question, from a fellow named Ed Wilson:

Most wirelss cabs will last 20 years, so it has not aged out yet.
However, it might have component failing, causing a battery drain. Sounds like it can be repaired fairly easily.
send it in.

...so I guess that's what I'll be doing! Hopefully I can still find its original box where I stashed it in the attic...

[EDIT:] I just looked at the fine print, the backlog is currently 4 to 5 weeks. Guess I'll have to make do with my Cab04's until then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ed Wilson is another reason to join the NCE group on Yahoo; he often responds there.

I realized that not everyone wants to join a Yahoo group. Just pointing out one of the benefits.

- Jeff

Jeff,

I'd love to be able to participate in the yahoo groups. But my old user id hasn't worked since I retired my old email address ~8 years ago and forgot my password. And whenever I try to join a group under a new userid, and I enter the letters in the graphic pattern for the 'robot detector' , I get an "Internal server error 500". So I've stopped wasting my time with them.

Back