NCE D13SRJ 9 pin decoder fault?

tootnkumin

Staff member
Can anyone think of a reason these silent decoders, once installed and placed on the programming track will not go past the initial manufacturer identification (not even on to the decoder's ID and not even get the message "cannot read decoder" and yet will allow the loco to be run via DC control (no lights) while installed. Loco in question is a Walthers new Mainline model with the 9 pin adapter and LED lighting.

King Toot I know next to nothing about DCC decoders, but I assume they each have a BIOS (basic input/output system) A semi-educated guess would be the EPROM (Erasable Programable Read Only Memory) is corrupted. The BIOS is stored on the EPROM chip.

I've got a few of these. Is it locked for programming? Can't remember the CV off the top of my head but I can look it up and get back to you on that.
I've never been able to read any of my decoders, but I blame that on my DCC system, not the decoders.

Maybe a question to ask Walther's Customer Support?

Greg
Walthers will just tell you to contact NCE, since NCE made the decoder that was installed aftermarket.

To perform a recovery of the decoder using your NCE system, place the engine on the track, and press "program" until "use programming track" is displayed. Press Enter, the press 7, and choose the "yes" option. It will run through the decoder, and reset everything to default, and you can start over.

Terry: I missed the part that the decoders were installed as aftermarket for the MainLine locomotive. I did purchase a Mainline loco with a decoder installed.

The decoder recovery is a great way to get the decoder back to proper operation.

Thanks for the head's up!

Greg

Isn't the factory reset for this decoder:

CV30=02

Another option to reset factory settings for non-NCE system users.

Greg

Last edited:
I've got a few of these. Is it locked for programming? Can't remember the CV off the top of my head but I can look it up and get back to you on that.
I've never been able to read any of my decoders, but I blame that on my DCC system, not the decoders.
There's actually 2 doing exactly the same thing on this loco. I had 3 left out of 16, I purchased new some years ago. The other one is working fine in an Athearn.

Isn't the factory reset for this decoder:

CV30=02

Another option to reset factory settings for non-NCE system users.

Greg
I did try that, and CV8=8, but as they are as ex factory, there should be no reason for them not to be at default. The oddball thing, is they will run the engine, using DC (but, no lights).

Walthers will just tell you to contact NCE, since NCE made the decoder that was installed aftermarket.

To perform a recovery of the decoder using your NCE system, place the engine on the track, and press "program" until "use programming track" is displayed. Press Enter, the press 7, and choose the "yes" option. It will run through the decoder, and reset everything to default, and you can start over.
I'll try that, just seems so odd that the 2 decoders I have left from 16 I purchased new, are both exhibiting identical behavior. Neither will run the loco on address 3.

Can you swap the decoder that you installed in the Athearn and see how it behaves in the Mainline locomotive to rule out the Mainline locomotive as being the problem and then try one of the "bad" decoders into the Athearn as a test?

Greg

After installing them into an Athearn GP35 and doing the recovery program (twice each for good luck) they seem to have recovered their composure. Maybe, being old, they too were getting senile.

Back