National Model Railroad Association - Achievement Award

In the MR Achievement program, you aren't competing against other modelers, you are competing against the prototype and yourself. There is NOTHING in the requirements that you WIN a contest, you just have to score above a certain level on the judging. You could be dead last on scoring, but if you have at least 87.5 points on an evaluation, you have met the requirements.

Dave, I don't think anybody mentioned that it was a competition or a contest, like you said it's about reaching the 87.5 points. You're also NOT competing against prototype because I was told that a lot of things I've done (articles, buildings, etc) would qualify for an achievement and I'm almost 100% "Freelance".

Lloyd: Great job and congrats!!! Now onward to the top achievement honors.

Greg

Last edited:
I recently re-joined the National Model Railroad Association (NMRA) and I am interested to see if my layout would qualify for an NMRA Achievement Award.

Has any of the Forum members earned this award and if you did please share your experiences with how the judging was done and the steps you took to enter your layout and what was looked at on the layout during the visit by representatives of the NMRA.

Thanks.

Greg
Greg,

The achievement program is set up such that you can do the entire thing with a 4 x 8 layout. The scenery requirement for example is 32 square feet. Download the requirements form their website. Your local division should be able to judge your layout. It is, as a rule, a little easier to qualify with individual judging than in a contest, depending on which certificate you're looking for (Golden Spike?). The biggest thing is the paperwork. Make sure to tell the judges everything you did.

Back