N&W Abingdon Branch

Looks very good, what kind of trees are you using? Is there going to be a bit of water in the sawmill scene?

Looks very good, what kind of trees are you using? Is there going to be a bit of water in the sawmill scene?

Those are ready made trees from Woodland Scenics and I don't know if I'll add any water or not yet.

One of the things I like most about this hobby is that, sometimes, you never where it's going to take you. I was adding another station stop to the new extension leading up to the sawmill and, originally, I wanted it to be Green Cove, which is a well known station on the Virginia Creeper. It was then that I realized that Green Cove was still in Virginia and I wanted this part of the layout to represent North Carolina. So I hit the internet looking for a likely North Carolina station and I came up with West Jefferson. It seems that West Jefferson was one the last stops on the Creeper so it seemed perfect. A little more research and I discovered that West Jefferson was once famous for having the largest cheese production east of the Mississippi! So suddenly I have an excuse for adding another customer for the Creeper! I added a turnout and a spur and now I present the beginning stages of West Jefferson, NC.

123001.jpg

The station is scratchbuilt and, while not 100% accurate is based on photos of the real depot at West Jefferson.

The Phillips Cheese Co. is fictional and is made from a Walthers "Wally's Warehouse" kit, some pieces from a Design Preservation building kit and some odds and ends I had laying around.

1230.jpg

I don't know the first thing about the cheese business but I think this will require milk deliveries in insulated box cars and cheese shipped out in refrigerator cars. So it works out the added traffic is well worth the addition.

Ballasting and scenery will be next.

The basic scenery on this final section of the layout is just about complete. The scenes lack only details now to be finished.

01-02-5259.jpg01-02-5260.jpg01-02-5262.jpg01-02-5267.jpg

Beautiful layout. A nice place to visit down I81, How did you do you appalachian mountains? are they photos placed over the "sky" backdrop? if so where / how did you get them?

Thank you.

Wow that's really coming along, I love the before and after shots on the previous page!
Very nice!

I never had any plans to do any sort of scenery on the staging yard but with the everything around it getting scenery I got tired of looking at bare plywood. This is the "Bristol" end that leads out onto the main part of the layout. The small yellow shed is something I made from scratch many years ago for an earlier layout. The yard maintenance building is scratch built from Evergreen, and the little tower is the classic Atlas kit that's been around since the sixties.

01-21-01.jpg01-21-03.jpg

Oh yea, the shelf there in the foreground is the "Conductor's desk". As I started operating the layout I quickly discovered I needed a place to sort car cards and just keep the paperwork off the scenery. The card boxes hold blank switch list forms, blank freight waybills, and bad order forms.

Today I was fooling around with the layout data base that's available on the Dallas Model Works web site. It gave me an excuse to shoot roster photos of my rolling stock.

Here's the web site for my layout: http://www.dallasmodelworks.com/myrailroad.asp?ID=2688

There you can see a list of the rolling stock, locomotives, and industries.

If you want to see the rolling stock roster photos, click this link: http://public.fotki.com/2002p51/model-railroad/roster/

If you want to use the web site to make your own railroad's data base, click here: http://www.dallasmodelworks.com/

I started making puff ball trees to cover that huge hill behind Abingdon.

trees.jpg

I try and make a little progress every night or every other night. It's finally starting to look more like Southwest Virginia and less like Southwest Arizona!

I finally finished covering this hill on the outside of this curve. I wanted the look of the track going through a cut. How did I do?

02-06-01.jpg

Back