N Scale Kato SD80MAC w/ NCE Decoder - Lights stopped working Programming issue?

CT Conrail

Hey guys I'm new to this forum so hello to everyone. I have a Kato SD80MAC with an NCE drop in decoder. I bought this used but I had it working briefly and then had to do a recovery from my PowerCab to get it working again. Now the engine works however the headlights don't in either direction when I hit 0 or the headlight button. The lights do flicker when I take the engine on and off the track and did flash every time I went through the program sequence to reprogram it so I know the lights are good. Any idea why they wouldn't be working anymore? Is there something in the programming I can change to get them working again? I am still very new to DCC. thanks a lot!

I would start with a full decoder reset and go from there. Place it on the programming track and set CV30 to 2.

When you do a reset to decoder default, that takes the Loco's address back to 3, which is what all DCC decoders are programmed to at the factory. If you have addressed it to it's long address (normally for convenience, the number on the cab's side) then it will require readdressing to that number again in order to operate it. It will run on address 3, so try "select loco", press 3, "Enter" in order to have 003 appear on the Power Cab's display as the engine you want to run, then try it out?

Back