Sweetwater Club

N Scale Coal Dumper

This is a scratch built N-scale coal dumper. Unlike a rotary unloader which rotates around, this dumps to the side. An actual prototype existed at a power generating plant located in Bow, NH.

Being a member of a local N-Trak club, I bring this to train shows. I wired the coal dumper to pushbuttons for public to operate. Everyone enjoyed operating it.

I have created short videos, click on the LINKS below. I am now building a coal loader to complete a mining operation and a N Scale NTRAK Timesaver modules.

I can custom build one for you from N & HO scale to G scale. Please send me a message sweetwaterclub@hotmail.com.

!LINK TO VIDEO!
!LINK TO VIDEO PART 2!

Last edited by a moderator:
The coal dumper is functional. If you have not seen it in operation on youtube, please click on the video link. I fill the hopper with Woodland Scenics fine cinders #B76 which closely resemble coal. The N Scale hopper when full represent about 125 tons of coal.

Thanks for the compliments.

There is no hold down mechanism. The hopper leans against the side of the structure as it tips (dumping the coal load). The hopper wheels fall back into place as the structure uprights

The coal dumper at the Springfield, Massachusetts train show is S-gauge. They were the inspiration to build one in N scale.

Back