N layout suggestions!

chimmike

UP and BNSF freelancer
Stipulations: Atlas Code 80 track
Size: 10' or 12' long by 2' wide.

Goal- moderate industrial switching, maybe road-running as well in some parts, maybe a multi-track bridge in the middle over a river, sort of as a scenic divider.

I'd decided to reduce the size of my old plan and go with something more challenging for running and more fun than just continuous loops.

You know the drill. What are your givens and druthers?

Take a look at the 2 x 8 shelf layouts on my site. You cold either expand on them or develope 2 of them or both.

You know the drill. What are your givens and druthers?

Take a look at the 2 x 8 shelf layouts on my site. You cold either expand on them or develope 2 of them or both.

Givens: 2' x 10 or 12' table. I'm almost positive it's 12' but I have to measure at home. 1/2" fiberboard table. I've got about 2" of foam on top, but of course that can be added to/taken away from. N-scale Atlas code 8 flex and switches.

Druthers: Flexible but numerous switching with room to run up to 3 different switching ops at once. Want to run 2 and 3 engine consists (small geeps, NW2's and SW1500s, maybe a couple of RS's for loco stock) Don't really care what industries are included yet.....though I do have about 5 Tropicana fridge cars....I can sell those if I like to get other cars.

I'd actually like to see some less-than-popular industry in there for some flexibility.......and an old-school small diesel engine facility/fuel facility type thing. Lookin to do that gritty industrial look, overgrown tracks, road running, etc

:D

Then that is your first job. Find the industry. That will determine your era, roadname, location and scenery.

to be honest, i'd like to freelance. no particular era, roadname, or location. Just whatever ideas are introduced, i'll see what I like and integrate them, i think.

Freelancing is fine - my layout has a lot of freelancing. However, you really do need to locate your layout in some part of the country as a start. Mine is based on a small town in Alabama. That helped me concentrate on they type of terrain, scenery, and overall look I'd need to make my layout look like it was located in the South. I have street running and overgrown sidings and a small yard that belong to my fictitious shortline. My mainline can be found runnng anything from the UP to CSX to the Nickle Plate but the mainline tracks look like mainline tracks. You can certainly mix something like a West Virginia coal mine and a Tropicana orange juice plant if you want to since it's your layout. I think Chip's point is that it won't look very realistic. Up to you if think that's important.

I think like a really neat, tightly packed northeastern US setting would be cool. Maybe a small dock with tracks as well as street running, a multi-track bridge over a small river, lots of industrial switching, small yard.

Now, On one end of the layout, I can tack on another 20" of depth for about 4' if I want.....otherwise I can keep it 2' wide throughout.

Sure. Sketch something up that gives an idea of what's in your head. Even better, download a copy of XTrackCAD from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=151737&package_id=167813 and start laying something out. Take the tutorial. It's about a half hour but it will help you to learn the basics of the program. You can post a copy of the track plan here so we can all take gander at it. Otherwise, all we can do is direct you to one of the hunderds of track plan books and websites and let you wander around aimlessly looking for something that you think you like.

I've got xtrkcad, but I'm so busy lately I have no time to sit down and fool around with it. I was kind of hoping some people would throw out their ideas of a neat 12'x2' 'shelf' switching layout. :D

here's my 13 x 2 (more or less)

indiana03.jpg

The truth is that you simply won't get what you want from other people. They make track plans based upon what they want. Only you know what you want, and you don't want to tell us, (or haven't figured it out) The point is, this is pretty much your job to do. So you can either get on with it or hope for a miracle.

I thought I made it clear but I guess I didn't :)

I also meant to say N scale.

I'll have to scrounge up some time on xtrkcad and see if I can wrangle something

Back