N layout on a 4x8?

Hathaway Browne

Intrepid Adventurer
I'm toying with making the switch to N, but I was wondering, anyone have any suggestions as to what track plan I could put on a 4x8?

(or is that one of those "how longs a piece of string questions? ;) )

Since N scale is about half the size of HO scale, anything that would fit on an 8x16 HO scale trackplan would fit in a 4x8 N scale layout. However, you can get a lot more out N Scale by using the same 4x8 space and making a shelf layout that runs part or all of the way around a room with 2x2 sections at each end for a loop if you want continuous running. You get a much longer mainline run and have a lot more scenic possibilities with a shelf type layout than a 4x8 and you also don't lose as much space in the middle of the room.

Here's a copy of my layout plan. Just something to give you an idea of what you can achieve on 4x8 with n-scale. If you want something more than a simple roundy round while still being continuous on a 4x8 then N-scale is definately the way to go. If the complexity of the layout design doesn't matter to you and you want to save a little money then I'd stick with HO. I personally love N for the vast layouts I can build in a cramped space while still being reasonable on a budget compared to Z-scale's $300-400 locos and lack of products.

attachment.php

Thanks for that.

I was looking at some British N today (just so I could see the size in person) and its not as fiddly as I thought. Plus the price was good too. £110 for a OO loco compared to £81 for the N equivalent.

I've already got a few bits of HO, so I'm sort of at a crossroads where I could switch.

But I think I'm going to carry on with my 4x8 HO, with an eye, perhaps to a future N shelf layout to compliment it. That way I can eventually have some long passenger trains.

Best of both worlds, if you will.

Thanks Chris. After my HO figure 8 debacle I'm a little dubious of doing another one, but this is N after all, so I guess its a whole nuther ball game.

I did have a thought this morning (before I saw the above) that maybe I can do up my HO and then have a N shelf around the sides of the 4X8.....:cool:

n scale layout on 4x8

My son and I designed a layout together and over the years it has been fun to operate. We still have this one.
There are also guys in this hobby who love to design layouts, and I happen to know a super guy who has designed two for me, and both are terrific. I can contact him if you like, and see if he can do it or is willing. He works for the fun of it, no money involved.

Brian

Back