My Riverside Division, 1954. (ATSF, SP, UP MV&P)

I just searched on google for them.. feel free to save those to your computer's photo files if you wish.

On another note, I started building some service buildings for my Roundhouse out of actually wrecked MOW cars! Here's a photo of The Kitchen/Dining Hall. Both were repainted a couple months later (after my layout is set, that is!) It's one of those buildings that's horrible outside, and spotlessly clean inside. :)

layout81007006.png

layout81007008.png

layout81007009.png

Overall shot of the Terminal as of yesterday:
layout81007001.png

Man that shack looks like you were lazy when you made it, but one heck of a convincing model of a lean-to style shack, add on, tar gap filling, ect...

Alright! I made some interesting progress in the last couple of days!
I:
A.-Started to lay wooden crossings for my roads on my layout!
B.-Cosmetically Restored my Catwhisker F7A from it's fate with a gravel parking lot a few weeks prior!
c.-sorted out My Engine Terminal..All I need is a sand drying rack, and the large walthers steel water tank, and I'm SET! :)

Let's do a game first!

CAN YOU CORRECTLY NAME ALL THE ENGINES (and their Manufacturers) in the following photos?
Hint: There's one Brass locomotive (The most produced brass offering in history) There's one that's 50+ years old (as a model!) and there's one with two manufacturers..shell and mechanism, can you get them all?

layout81607024.png

layout81607021.png

layout81607018.png

4.Right & 5. left
layout81607022.png

6.Right & 7. Left

layout81607023.png

..and the restored #8!
layout81607030.png

CAN YOU GUESS THEM ALL?

Almost! keep guessing Josh! (You're correct about the shell, but what's the running gear from?

ALRIGHT! Scenery! This first bit of scenery is of "The Cut" and the quarry that mines gravel, and yellow/gold granite. They ship the gravel out by rail, and occasionally, the granite as well.

This first view is of the Granite company's numer 5, a 0-6-0T, rusted by steam and faded by the harsh california sun, it will live just a few months into the future before it is either sold for parts or scrapped.
quarry005.png

quarry004.png

This is looking into the cut, the walls on either side will feature real stone walls!

quarry003.png

The hill from which the material comes from, and the larger mine is located off the layout.

quarry002.png

Now some shots of the loader and surrounding area.

quarry009.png

quarry008.png

quarry007.png

quarry006.png

The machine is out of the era (1954) but it's just there for the time being until I fine some period earthmoving equipment..any ideas?
quarry001.png

Hope you enjoyed my progress as much as I had making it!

You layout really looks nice from your new pictures and your previous ones. Your making great progress can't wait for future pictures.

I'm back in action, with MORE progress! I managed to build a retaining wall, finish the other mountain/hill, and add some appealing rock formations.

The Photos below also may feature an honest-as-goodness world traveling passenger car from a long-ago offer by walthers: The oscar and piker passenger cars.

Enjoy!

LayoutCanyon018.png

LayoutCanyon016.png

LayoutCanyon024.png

LayoutCanyon004.png

LayoutCanyon027.png

LayoutCanyon025.png

LayoutCanyon003.png

Faulty construction takes its evil toll. :) I know the box cab has Bachmann 70 tonner running gear. Is the F unit an old metal Globe model?

Well, the F7A isn't a globe model... you're right about the boxcab. What's the small black diesel switcher?

I hope the faulty construction comment is about my retaining wall! ;)

Hi Miles,
I viewed your various posts and enjoyed the various pictures from down in the LA area. I grew up in Woodland Hills and roamed the bare hills in the early '50's and many of your shots brought back memories, especially the Albers Feed Warehouse, that scene looks so familiar to me but it's been such a long time ago but it was very interesting to jog my memory.

You asked about pictures of orange groves down that way and I wanted to mention that not too long ago I saw on TV that Hewell Howser, 'Californias Gold', took a train ride through a place where there were still plenty of orange groves left it seemed but I'm not sure if it was Ojai or just where?

Take care,

David
Btw: Where about up North in Ca are you?

Hey there trussrod, I'm about 4-5 Hours from Coarsegold, up in the Bay Area.

I thought those photos would evoke some memories! :)

I made some MAJOR development on my layout this wook, please stay tuned for photos real sooon!

Here's those photos, as promised! (although this is another module.)

This is the Orange Junction Portion of the layout, the newest to see some scenery plans tak shape.

Orangegrovejunction008.png

Orangegrovejunction011.png

Orangegrovejunction017.png

Orangegrovejunction019.png

Orangegrovejunction015.png

My scratchbuild Northern California Barn will hopefully have a home. It's modeled after my old Neighbor's barn, in exact scale.

Orangegrovejunction014.png

Orangegrovejunction001.png

Above is the temporary depot for Valencia Heights, Ca.

Orangegrovejunction003.png

Orangegrovejunction002.png

Here's the Mission Valley & Pacific's first engine house, located in Highgrove. It's still standing 50 years later (from 1905 in 1955) It now (1955) houses the Car shops, and in a couple of years the railroad has plans to donate it to a society of volunteers to preserve as a local living history operation, along with whatever locomotive the railroad decides to save from the torch when the MV&P follows through with plans to dieselize in 1957.

Orangegrovejunction007.png

I'd say I'm getting the most out of walther's Transload facility! It has a car capacity of 28 cars! Mostly flats, reefers, and boxcars.

Orangegrovejunction013.png

A building supplies yard that sells lumber, and boasts a thriving nursery which produces some of the largest annual rose crops in the state!

Lots of work there, Miles. I really like that "temporary" station. When you're done with it, can you send it over here. :) I still haven't figured out who made that F unit yet. With that closer picture, it looks like maybe an old brass unit from Japan.

Thanks Josh!
Jim, the F-unit was made at most 5 years ago by a popular company known for it's painfully expensive Highly detailed plastic steam-era cars.

Back