My Riverside Division, 1954. (ATSF, SP, UP MV&P)

WEEKEND PROGRESS.

I did a small project, that is another milestone: I layed my first Industrial Siding. I've already layed allmy mainline, Yard, and passing siding track, so these are the last to go due to the fect that I have to build the building before I lay the track.

Here's the whole process...

First I test Fit the track, and test my legnth of the siding using 2 40' reefers, the usual traffic for "Valley Citrus Packers"

Layout026.jpg

Then I lay the cork and Track using standard methods...
Layout031.jpg

Finally I was curious wether some of my new Athearn 50' Reefers would fit, so I tested with another 50'' car to make sure it wouldn't foul the switch, and as it turns out, it's perfect!
Layout027.jpg

Hope you liked this little project.

Thanks Josh! I'm Glad you liked it Smoke. :)

I thought as I was posting this: "Hmm. they haven't see this part of the layout, all I've shown them is the Engine Servicing Facility." So I went out and took a panoramic picture of the town of Perris. Here's the result:

panorama1A.jpg

panorama1B.jpg

Here's an overall shot of the layout while I'm at it:

Layout023.jpg

What Perris looked like a couple of weeks prior:

Layout013.jpg

The Yard at Highgrove:
Layout010.jpg

..and the beginnings of an Industrial switching district in Hemet:

Layout018.jpg

Enjoy!

Heh, thats funny, I brought my wife to Perris on our honeymoon, so she could joke around and tell her friends she went to "Paris". Though it looks nothing like that now!

Mills:
I also know what you are talking about,born in North Longbeach 1942.lived in and grew up in the south eastern part of L.A.County in the town of Artesia,left when joined the army been back to visit once or twice.It is sad about the orange groves giveing way to houses.

JIM

Jim, do you have any pictures of the area back then? Any Orange Grove snapshots?

That'd be a HUGE help if ANYONE could supply with orange grove photographs from back then (1930-1960) Thanks!

At any rate, I'd imagined you noticed the rather large wooden building in the far left of the "panorama shots"...here's the prototype:

Here's the Front of the building, which interestingly enough, faces the tracks!
elcamino3.png

(Claremont City Website)

Here's the photo that made me want to model it:
elcaminopacking.png

(http://ljames1.home.netcom.com/scph_la_claremont.html)

Here's the rear half of this packing house:
elcaminopacking2.png

(http://ljames1.home.netcom.com/scph_la_claremont.html)

Based ont he photographs, and a sanbourne map of the area, I managed to devise a floorplan:

floorplan.png

Here's the Label that was used for their oranges, one of the nicer labels, I think!
A1elcaminocitrusassn.png

(Superstock Photo.com)

Hope you enjoyed this big project. You'll hear alot about it in the future! ;)

Ok, now that I have time to work on my layout again, let's see some progress!

To tide you over, here's another San Jacinto Branch Photo! :)

Here's an ATSF F7A pulling away from the Hemet depot (unmodeled)
OERMtrip6sm.jpg

(Another Marty Quaas Photo, Circa 1965.)

Excellent thread Miles!! Something about those western shots and vintage motive power just shouts railroading. Glad to see you here.

Johnny

Miles..

Great thread with a wonderful layout!! Great progress and keep the updates coming, great to watch and read about.

Love the old western photo's!!!

Well, here we go! Here's some photos of the last operation session (and the only one) to take place in the "old" garage. The "New garage is just perfect! It's finished , floors, walls, windows and ceilings (and doors) make it the perfect layout space, and even better...It has EXCELLENT lighting! (but we'll get to that in my next post)

So, up first is my friend Kevin's P2k GP20 with QSI sound (SWEET!)

Moving001.png

Moving015.png

Moving016.png

Moving022.png

My lil' roadside diner awaits the road to be built and the parking lot to become paved..
Moving021.png

Up next is a relative overall shot of the layout.
Moving002.png

Transfer Facility

Moving003.png

Moving010.png

Moving017.png

The Local comes off the main into the Hemet Branchline.
Moving012.png

Richfield Oil
Moving005.png

Commuter Operations mimic those found on the SF peninsula
Moving009.png

Moving006.png

Moving013.png

Our Brass Hat, Casey, preparing 6-pin phone wire for the DCC system.
Moving011.png

Hope you enjoyed the photos! Stay tuned for regular updates!

Back