My reply box was filled with someone else's reply !

M

MarkInLA

I went to an ongoing thread today and then decided to reply to it. When I clicked 'reply' another's message was already filling the box.. No biggie, but can't understand how this would occur.. I deleted it and proceeded to, but then changed my mind about replying anyway.. Any dibbs ? ...M

If you reply to a post in a thread, the post you are replying to is included in your post.

Reactions: bob
I have to admit to finding it a bit confusing when we first changed to the new forum's method when you wanted to Quote someone elses post in a new comment of your own, or not. Previously you used the [Quote} button to include that person's post in your reply, now that is what the Reply with the arrow is for. Somewhat confusingly it says in a new comment field, "Write your Reply" also.

I have to admit to finding it a bit confusing when we first changed to the new forum's method when you wanted to Quote someone elses post in a new comment of your own, or not. Previously you used the [Quote} button to include that person's post in your reply, now that is what the Reply with the arrow is for. Somewhat confusingly it says in a new comment field, "Write your Reply" also.
Kind of like this. In my previous post, I simply started typing in the box, but in this one, I clicked the little "reply" button.

Kind of like this. In my previous post, I simply started typing in the box, but in this one, I clicked the little "reply" button.
Yes, the one within the other member's post, with the arrow alongside, is the one to include that post in your reply. The reply field below with "Write your reply" on it, is for just making your comment on it's own.

Still not comprehending : Are you saying to first delete the foreign post IN my reply box ? Why isn't that reply box just like this one here ? IE. There was nothing in this space before I began typing..Why is this diff from that ? M

If you look at the one you just wrote and this one of mine, you will see at bottom left a Like button and alongside that a Reply button with an arrow pointing to the left. If you click that Reply button that will open a new box with the writing from that box, repeated. There will be a cursor flashing at the end of that writing, so you can make a comment (Reply) directly to that statement. The member who wrote the Quoted message will receive an Alert at the top of the page the next time they come to the forum to come, have a look.

Once I post this Reply/Comment, it will also have that Reply with the arrow, in it. Below this post will be another box which only has "Write your reply" in it and otherwise blank space. If you wish to make just a Reply/Comment without including the quoted one, then this is the box to use.

Back