My proto freelance shortline start up motive power

malletman

Alcohaulic
Here is our lines GP35. She was purchased from the ATSF out of their deadline, its been thru one rebuild but was sidelined with mechanical issues before the rebuilt that moved the headlight to the nose. Our shop forces replaced the missing air horn with a stacked 5 chime we had on hand, along with replacing the beacon with a brand new 8911 model from Prime. I am waiting for the AC unit detail part to come in the mail, then I can clean up and prep for paint. Took awhile today to limber up the drive unit. This model lived in a closet in its box since 1982. I was 9 years old when this model was new!(I am 45 now) This is an older "tank drive" that preceeded the silky smooth tower drive that Ajin developed after this style was made. Power is a single ended Sagami can motor to a central gear tower, then drive shafts that come out of each end of the fuel tank to each truck. Each axle has a cast gear box that resembles a traction motor. All of the ones on this unit have zinc pest cracking but run ok for now. A replacement set of trucks with better gear boxes are on order. The last run of tank drives had a different gear box casting that seems to be stable and not cracking. But I will run these trucks till issues arise. As I do not use DCC, one of Richmond Controls excellent constant lighting circuits with Prime beacon is on its way to me. One can see old No1 sitting on the shop lead in the background. My railroad builds on the actual Logansport & Eel River excursion train that I rode as a child. While they used either the TP&W or Conrail tracks for the excursion, the line owned what was left(1.5 miles) of the old PRR Eel River line/Butler Branch that ran from Logansport, Indiana to Butler, Indiana. I am modeling like the line was left intact up to Columbia City to the grain elevator. So along with the excursion train, some freight runs as well. The local rail fans got a real treat when old No1 was used for the first 2 weeks as the GP35 was still having mechanical issues. Last pic is my ticket from 1982, same age as the brass GP35. Mike the Aspie
Resized-20181228-180424-8274.jpg

Resized-20181228-174440-5458.jpg

Resized-20181224-124026-9057.jpg

Thank you. I cant wait to get the paint work started. The Diesel will be first. I thought I had proper PRR Tuscan Red on hand, but I do not. Cant do anything except the chassis till the roof top AC unit arrives and is soldered in place behind the horn and beacon. That will complete her ex ATSF look. So for now they will both run in their natural brass finish. I need to make some scenery progress now, will be setting up the little layout at a show in 4 weeks. The larger layout above this one is my Marklin HO layout I am slowly building. The L&ER is a 55" by 33" portable layout that fits in the back of my Jeep Liberty. I have one more diesel, but not sure if it will go into this paint scheme or just be a display model in the case as its an older Alco Models GP40 (coffee grinder drive). I have a set of Samhongsa trucks I can stuff under it, or I may wait till I can afford a pair of Overand/Ajin trucks($150). Those would make it run all but silent. The GP35 was super stiff, but 2 hours of running just the bare chassis polished off the varnish on the axle bushings and loosened up the drive. This old girl had slept in her box for 20+ years. Once Ajin, Overland's builder in S Korea, changed to the sprung trucks with a gear tower on each one they started to run as nice as a Kato right out of the box. Mike the Aspie

Back