My ONE and ONLY project ...

Toot'n,

Thanks mate and nope, didn't know you liked blue but do now :) I will play around with the striping but at the end of the day I might forgo it altogether. Not sure at the moment but if something is suggested and looks good, then that's what I will do.

Have you any of the MRL gray from when you were doing that GP35 (whatever happened to that?), maybe do the roof and underbody equipment/trucks with that?

Toot'n,

No I don't but I do have both VIA Rail and Canadian Pacific Grey. Might take a look at them for the window section.

Still a bit confused about this GP35 you have mentioned. I've never done or attempted an engine "make over". I may have talked about trying one BUT that was as far as it went. :)

I was sure you bought an undecorated GP35 to experiment airbrush painting with a long time ago and you'd got some MRL blue and gray to paint it with.

Toot'n,

You might be right but I don't remember it. Maybe I could do that for an N Scale engine ... maybe :) If I did, it would be to pull the Pullman Cars and painted accordingly. Got any suggestions of what type of engine might be appropriate for such a task?

For a steam loco, a 4-6-2 as the most likely passenger loco, or 4-8-4 for a longer train. For diesels something from the late 1930's and into the 40's, F7's or PA/PB, FA/FB's which would suit both the time period of the cars and modern restored as well.

Toot'n,

Thanks mate. I do have a K4 Pacific for the cars but thought a diesel would be a nice addition for them as well. Ironically, I was looking at an F7 by Kato, undecorated.

I do have a K4 Pacific for the cars but thought a diesel would be a nice addition for them as well. Ironically, I was looking at an F7 by Kato, undecorated.
I was going to say I thought you already had a Pacific for them. Can't get much better than that.

Is this supposed to be a first class train? After the war was the big rush to complete streamliners. The only railroad I know that continued to run heavy weights on their main trains was the Grand Trunk. An F7 is a 1949 post war loco, I would recommend looking for iots earlier cousin an F3, or even better it's Alco counterpart the PA.

Thanks mate, F7 F3 makes no difference to me either way. The Pacific is THE train for the cars so that is the priority engine. Just thought it'd be nice to have a diesel for it as well, you know, for when the Pacific is in for maintenance :)

That must be a personal thing. My first reaction when I saw it was wow, that's ugly compared to the F3 or F7. I aren't all that fond of the long hood on it and prefer a "snub nose" or "short hood" engine. Other than that, it would be a good choice.

That must be a personal thing. My first reaction when I saw it was wow, that's ugly compared to the F3 or F7. I aren't all that fond of the long hood on it and prefer a "snub nose" or "short hood" engine. Other than that, it would be a good choice.
Well then how about putting that blunt nose on the long graceful body of an E7? A PA or an E unit can stand alone rather than needing the AB configuration. Still really too modern for heavy weights, but if you don't like the nose on the PA you probably wouldn't like the slant nose of one of the earlier E units either.

Horseman,

Thank you, that is very much appreciated indeed. I did look at the Intermountain site and saw a large number of engines F3's F7's etc but none had prices listed OR were not going to be available until next year at various times.

I would very much like to get an undecorated F3 A & B (passenger variant) with Loksound ESU installed or at worse, just the F3 A. If they can do that for you on my behalf, that would be great and I would be indebted to you for your trouble. The ONLY thing that would prevent me from buying both the A and B cars would be the over all cost at the moment.

I am also learning that when it comes to quality, Intermountain is right there with Kato so if that is the case and considering Intermountain has a much larger selection of engines than Kato I may have to start buying Intermountain :)

Thank you, that is very much appreciated indeed.
I got no response from my query, so I'm wondering if my contact number is correct. I'll try a couple of the other folks I know.

Edit - no. These are painted off-shore so they can't just grab one out of the line for me before they hit the paint shop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back