My Northern Pacific Butte Montana Layout.

All I meant was that determining a grade from that photo was difficult for me as I was unfamiliar with the layout.

Yesterday I had to run down to my sons house to look at his new toy, a fishing boat. On the way I decided to stop and take some photos of the two Northern Pacific Cabooses used as show pieces for the towns they are in. The first is a Series 1000 to 1049 tall cupola caboose. It has been painted for the Burlington Northern and is numbered 11368. I would like to decipher what Northern Pacific caboose this one is.

HPIM8134 (1).JPG

Cupola end.

HPIM8125 (1).JPG

11368 is located in the small community of Verndale, MN. This caboose has some differences from the Northern Pacific version it originally was in that there is plate steel welded to the end rails on both ends. Also as some point in time the wood roof walk was replaced by a metal roof walk. The small window on this side view above would be where the Hopper Toilet would be.

HPIM8121.JPG

The none Cupola end.

This caboose is one of the newer 1049/1099 series cabooses. It was built with a shorter cupola. This is the opposite side of the caboose from 11368, showing where the two windows are placed. This caboose is located in Staples Minnesota, the first division point west of the twin cities. Note that when the city of Staples Minnesota did some maintenance on this caboose, they turned the Smoke Jack 90 degrees from the way it should be. The cover should be 90 degrees from the direction of travel.

HPIM8126 (1).JPG

There is no road number visible on this caboose, however, the end railings are correct for the Northern Pacific era. These cabooses where built in the very early 1950s, the tall cupola cabooses where built first.

HPIM8127 (1).JPG
HPIM8130.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used Athearn Cupola Cabooses to Kit-Bash into both of these styles of cabooses and am considering doing another of the tall cabooses for a potential article in Model Railroader if I can be instructed in what they want as far as photos for the article are concerned.

Can anyone else who has written articles for Model Railroader describe the process? We are getting close to closing the season down at the lake and I will start spending more time back home, here.

Here is my latest addition to my layout, another American Model Builder's Laser Kit 1700 series Northern Pacific Caboose.
HPIM8163.JPG

I find these wood kits to be exceptionally fun to build and AMB'S Laser Kits line up is specifically designed for the railroad you model. It takes a while to complete; but, you end up with very nice cabesses. I did screw up this caboose. I did not work from photos while completing (IMPORTANT)! On the other side the Monad should have been between the two windows, the "Main Street" motto underneath the Monad and the car number to the left of the motto. It was done just like this side, which is wrong.

I took this caboose to the Northern Pacific Railway Historical Association as a model to be judged, along with my Athearn Caboose that I kit bashed into an N.P. 1000 series steel caboose. I must have to wait until the next Main Streeter comes out to find out how I did with my models.

No Mainstreeter yet, that wouldn't have been published pre-NPRHA Convention. However, I have been told that the 2021 NPRHA Convention will be held at Brainerd again. This time the focus will be to visit the Cuyuna Iron Range which lies between Brainerd and Aitkin Minnesota, all basically to the East of Brainerd.

I had been banned from this forum for comments I made at Great Divide's discussion on his re-building of John Allen's Gorre & Daphetid layout. The ban lasted from September 16th, 2019 to October 15th. What I said, that was out of line, escapes me at this time. I had been warned previously about how I state my opinions on things and I would like to apologize to Mr. Randy Decker-"Great Divide" for my callus comments! At the time that I posted the comments, I thought nothing of what I was saying or that someone might be offended by what I said! For this I am deeply sorry!

Mark -- a Very nice photo of the caboose! The culvert is a really nice touch; don't see very many on layouts, but they are numerous in real life!

Mark and Sherrel: Mark's culvert scene gave an idea for my layout. I forgot to add some during construction under the railroad's road bed, but I'll find a spot or two for them.

I make culverts out of aluminum foil by wrapping the foil around a bolt and the bolt's threads give the convert the grooves. After wrapping the foil several times, I unscrew the foil from the bolt. Some weathering and I have a culvert.

It takes a couple attempts to master the technique.

Look around my layout and you'll see some culverts as loads or laying along the right as if fallen off a passing freight.

Thanks.

Greg

Last edited:
My culverts haven't been sceniced yet, I can see. Might be a good time to get that done, sort of the first real project on the layout for the year. I might just get that done today.

I don't know how much more I really have to say about my layout.

However, I've had a run in with a fellow modeler here on this forum, not an uncommon situation for me and I'm unsure why. I was banned for my actions for one month because of this. I am embarrassed about this and unsure why I tend to get into these situations. Therefore I am going to cut back on my use of and attempt to watch what I say on these forums. The last time this occurred, the person I had the disagreement with, decided that the Model Railroad Forums was not a place for him to spend time and removed his posts (took his marbles and went home)! I will be banned for life if I get into a pissing match with someone again. I guess some dislike me so much that there is even an email group that discusses what an ASS I am and I don't need that! The reality is; in my day to day life I am well liked, helpful and actually a somewhat quiet person!

On occasions I get a little bored with Model Railroading and need to take a break from it. Along with my interests in Radio Controlled Model Airplanes, I have had a very deep interest in World War One plastic model airplanes. I love the details available for these airplanes (Aeroplanes) and like to paint and and detail 1/48th, 1/28th and 1/32nd scale WW 1 models.

Here are some photos of recent projects and one I am in the middle of at present.

HPIM8184.JPG

HPIM8185.JPG

The above two photos are of Capt. Eddie Rickenbacker's SPAD XIII. This model was built from a very old 1/28th scale Revell Kit from the 50s or 60s
which I bought off of Ebay. Capt. Eddie was America's Leading Ace with 26 kills. Captain Eddie was also Medal of Honor recipient. Considering that the U.S. entered the war late, in October of 1917 his 26 kills where an impressive amount. At the time he flew this SPAD XII, he was the leader of the famous 94th Aero Squadron (The Hat in the Ring Gang). In addition to the Medal of Honor, he was also awarded 7 Distinguished Service Crosses, the Medal of Merit, the French Legion of Honor and Croix de Guerre. He went on the become the head of Eastern Air Lines.

HPIM8186.JPG

The above model is a Revell 1/28th scale Sopwith F-1 Camel. The model I am building will be a model of a 45th Squadron Royal Flying Corps. Pilot unknown. I could have added a bunch of fancy decals and made it look like it was special; however, I like more plain Jane color schemes for my models. I also have a Revell 1/28th scale Fokker DR1 Triplane painted red of course for the Red Baron's Triplane in which he was shot down! I believe that these three Revel Kits are the only 1/28th scale models ever produced.

Very nice renditions of the Spad XIII. About 40-odd years ago, I worked with Rickenbacker's nephew at an aerospace outfit. Now, if you really want to create something interesting (not that these are not), build a model of an F-106 and put the Hat-In-Ring insignia on it! :D The 94th FIS (Fighter Interceptor Squadron) was based at Malmstom AFB, Montana in the late 1960's. They wore the emblem on the fuselage.
Having been and still am, a confirmed Burlington Route fan, I never could quite get to like that BN green scheme. BNSF is much better, although on my layout (pre-1960), you'll see some NP and GN equipment in addition to "Q" Zephyrs and steamers.

Mark and Sherrel: Mark's culvert scene gave an idea for my layout. I forgot to add some during construction under the railroad's road bed, but I'll find a spot or two for them.

I make culverts out of aluminum foil by wrapping the foil around a bolt and the bolt's threads give the convert the grooves. After wrapping the foil several times, I unscrew the foil from the bolt. Some weathering and I have a culvert.

It takes a couple attempts to master the technique.

Look around my layout and you'll see some culverts as loads or laying along the right as if fallen off a passing freight.

Thanks.

Greg
I use the same method, foil around a bolt. You can just make out the culvert beyond the trestle
Trestle - 13.jpg

They (Other model railroaders) talk about taking photographs of your layout, that the photos will show unfinished areas; or, flaws in the scenery that need attention! This is the case with the photo of my latest caboose and the culverts and bridges there. I have since put ballast down at the culvert and it's possible that I may actually do some water effects in the stream that the culvert and bridges cross, maybe. Oh, the Sopwith Camel is done and I'm back to model railroading. The SPAD XIII and Camel where welcome brakes from model railroading.

Back