My new GPs

malibu43

I bought this matching set of blue box GP60s (one powered and one dummy) at Thanksgiving off of ebay, and they got wrapped up and placed under the tree.

Since I knew they were coming, I bought some Details West plows and some Lark Dark Grey paint. I spent a couple evenings after Christmas painting the chassis and truck frames, hand rails, and getting the plows installed.

This is the best plow installation I've done so far. I took my time to get the holes in the right spot, so the plows fot snugly without any glue. That way I can take them off to get the shell off.

XdbUpvw.jpg

GbNDkjj.jpg

i3u2lbg.jpg

I have tried some weathering in the past, but I never liked the way it turned out. I think a well weathered locomotive looks good on a nice layout. But I've found that when using ovals of EZ track on the floor with my kids, I prefer detailed and authentic, but relatively clean, models.

Details West emailed me back and said they didnt have anything for lights and number boards, so I guess I'll continue scouring ebay.

Last edited:
I have tried some weathering in the past, but I never liked the way it turned out. I think a well weathered locomotive looks good on a nice layout. But I've found that when using ovals of EZ track on the floor with my kids, I prefer detailed and authentic, but relatively clean, models.

Details West emailed me back and said they didnt have anything for lights and number boards, so I guess I'll continue scouring ebay.

Send me a PM and I'll mail you the lenses and number boards. I have a few extras. Also, some pictures of GP60's I've done up.

100_1906.jpg

100_1907-1.jpg

Not to hijack the thread, but Jerome's units are a lot cleaner than the ones that ventured through Texas. Excellent job though. Neither SP or SSW ever cleaned anything! I am surprised that crew members didn't have to wear hazmat suits just to board the engines.

Not to hijack the thread, but Jerome's units are a lot cleaner than the ones that ventured through Texas. Excellent job though. Neither SP or SSW ever cleaned anything! I am surprised that crew members didn't have to wear hazmat suits just to board the engines.
I heard they had to be up-to-date on their tetanus shots before boarding...

Also, does anyone know where I can get headlight lenses and number boards for the dummy? It's missing them...

For the headlights, you could just get some fiber-optic cable and run it through the hole. Bring a lit match close to the end and it should expand, or dome-over to form a lens. Doesn't take too heat.

For the headlights, you could just get some fiber-optic cable and run it through the hole. Bring a lit match close to the end and it should expand, or dome-over to form a lens. Doesn't take too heat.

Thanks. I thought about that, and I actually found some custom made lenses on ebay for pretty cheap. The number boards were the thing that proved harder to find.

Back