My Layout ...

The parallel portions of the diamond are about 3/32" off the main rails or 1/2" between the rails of the diamond.

Sadly due to this new feature, Thomas can no longer run the main line as there is a spot where some of the gearing for him runs below the track line and hits the diamond.
Cut off the center portion of the rail so Thomas can run!
Unless I am totally wrong - I don't think guard rails all come to a point the way you have shown?

Cut off the center portion of the rail so Thomas can run!
Unless I am totally wrong - I don't think guard rails all come to a point the way you have shown?

Center section was redone and Thomas can run all rails as I currently have them configured. The only rerail on the layout currently is in the yard on the inner loop. An Atlas 9" rerail track piece.

As I said in the Coffee Shop, I am thinking of flattening the rise on the outer loop as I think I can then have better access to the addition I need to add to the table.

Well, I did it!

20200112_181101.jpg
20200112_181106.jpg
20200112_181110.jpg
20200112_181116.jpg

I flattened the rise and started reconstruction of the outer loop, which included a section of the inner loop as well. I also built a 1' x 7' extension which filled most of the gap where I was losing trains. I can see a little better access for any town, as evidenced in the first photo, to spread across the bench work. I have to fill a little under where I removed the odd angle board I placed in to work with the lift and curve in the one end of the track. I basically added 7 square feet to the table without taking up more of the room. Now to get the track reset and rewired in a more permanent fashion. That will take some time as I aggravated the carpal tunnel in my right wrist.

Sure looks like a layout in process! :) But don't take a chance with that carpal tunnel thing. With rest, it may subside. Otherwise you might be facing surgery, and from what I hear that ain't no fun! :( Have you talked with a doctor? Best of luck!

Unfortunately surgery is scheduled for Jan. 27th. I've had the brace, but it is no longer working. I hear anecdotes about the surgery not working, but everyone I know who's had it says they're better off. When you can't sleep at night, it's time to do something different.

I've just gotta do it a little slower....dang I must be getting old...

Unfortunately surgery is scheduled for Jan. 27th. I've had the brace, but it is no longer working. I hear anecdotes about the surgery not working, but everyone I know who's had it says they're better off. When you can't sleep at night, it's time to do something different.

I've just gotta do it a little slower....dang I must be getting old...
Patrick, I had both wrists done about 7 years ago. Been great results, about 2 weeks recovery time. Then the doc said use them if they don't hurt. No regrets!!

Ok, I had some time over the holiday weekend to work on getting back to normal, so to speak.

Filled area for the crossover switches:
20200120_193435.jpg
20200120_193438.jpg

I filled the area underneath with a 3/16th thick foam board cut to match the existing hole. The original was 3/16" after I thought the original was 1/4". The foam board made the patch easy and I can still pin through it.. This also shows the inner loop back in place as well. The switches need to be tacked down yet, but I was waiting for the glue on the cork underlay to dry before continuing.

20200120_193508.jpg

This shows a different look at the patch and switch area. You can see the added area on the left and the cork underlay with the T-pins still holding in place. From this angle the track isn't as centered as I wanted, but can still be tweaked. The cork area runs to the outer loop lift bridge.

These last 2 (one already seen in the Coffee Shop) are the track completed on the outer loop to the lift bridge. I thought I had taken more, but this is what I have currently. I still need to re-wire and test the system once the track is relayed.

By removing the rise, I can now create a car road to get to both the new area for part of the town and across to where some other facilities may be placed on the other side of the layout. I won't need a car bridge across the path as any vehicles other than the trains are static display, so roadway, walk gap, roadway would still be OK.

Man, It's been a while since the last update here:

Pictures previously posted in the Coffee Shop.

20200407_194139.jpg
20200407_194147.jpg
20200407_194153.jpg
20200412_153606.jpg
20200412_190716.jpg
20200412_190721.jpg

I have the control board and blocks in and wired. While not shown in the last pictures, I have the electric controls for the turnouts cleaned and ready for install once I get the wire. I still need to clean the rails and wire in the 2nd power supply, but still a bit of question as the 2 are different brands and are backwards from each other electrically. I may have to temporarily give up until I get another Tech 7. I don't want one to feed back across the other when running 2 trains in different directions in different block.

Block information:

Block 1 is the full outer loop.
Block 2 is the full inner loop.
Block 3 is the station siding not shown here (but behind me if I'm at the controls).
Block 4 is the entrance to the yard.
Blocks 5-9 are the individual tracks in the yard. They rise in number as they get closer to the control station. As seen in the last photo, #5 is the one the trolley is on, #6 has the steam switcher, #7 is open, #8 has the bus and #9 the Amtrak car.

Still more to go.....

Wow,

Been some time since I've posted here, but here's the current status:

I did get the second controller hooked up, so I have the ability to run 2 trains. I have to figure out why the second controller is backwards from the direction switch (I think that I just need to swap the wires).

Here's a picture of my control panel. I do have everything wired at this time.

20200503_193704.jpg

I also "filled" the gaps in my table top with sheet rock tape and white glue. Here's the before:

20200616_153001.jpg
20200616_153010.jpg
20200616_153131.jpg

And some after:

20200616_152954.jpg
20200616_162640_001.jpg
20200616_162647.jpg
20200616_162707.jpg

On to the next steps. It is going slower than I'd like, but summer is always a bit busier time anyway.

Patrick, you are making progress!! I'm a bit behind you still. Hopefully my track will be done this weekend and I can turn my attention to the wiring next.

Ok, Update from the weekend. It's going too slow, but then again, it is summer and it has its own responsibilities.

20200802_191258.jpg
20200802_191301.jpg
20200802_191304.jpg
20200802_191309.jpg
20200802_191311.jpg
20200802_191317.jpg

You can see where I over sprayed the wall....(dang it more work). SWMBO is aware although she hasn't seen it. As explained in the Coffee Shop (Aug. 2020), I'm using the white side of an emery board to clean the rail tops of paint. It does a good job and doesn't scratch the rails as bad as other things I could use. As seen in the first picture, I'm using Thomas as my test to see where I still need to clear rail tops of paint. The yard area has been cleaned at this point and I still have to finish the outer and main inner loops. I used a camo brown paint from rustoleum. It's really close in color to the paint that Willie uses on his. I think the rails look a bit "rustier" from the side than not. In the last picture, you see a second Thomas. I bought 2 complete Thomas sets years ago for about $30 each, brand new and then found the engine only for what I paid for the 2 sets. I bought a brown ballast that is a lot lighter than the rails are now. Hopefully it will look ok. Otherwise I'll need to mix it some.

Patrick, This looks like the start of something truly spectacular. I can't wait to watch your progress and hope you have as much fun building as we will have fun watching!

Patrick, This looks like the start of something truly spectacular. I can't wait to watch your progress and hope you have as much fun building as we will have fun watching!

It is but then I get a block over what I want to have or accomplish. Progress is slower that I'd like as I hear on occasion I spend too much time in the basement.,along with stuff needing around the house.

Forgot to add I have the rest of the paint off the top surfaces of the rails.

Last edited:
I like the way you filled the gaps with the sheet rock tape, I'll have to give that a try when I get to that part of the layout. I'm kind of in the same boat with you on the house stuff, even though I don't have a "war department" anymore, still have house stuff to do. Two outside projects and three inside projects. Doing a turnout conversion on the work bench to stay in the modeling game.....

Back