My Layout ...

as for ballast I used pool filter sand its the right size for ho scale same as the #40 size at Scenic Express comes in 50# bag at Menards Brand name Tech Mix 50# for $9.98 then I died it with Rit Dye used a old frying pan mixed a little water with the dye and heated it till it was dry

Attachments

• IMG_0364[1].JPG
    IMG_0364[1].JPG
    442.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0362[1].JPG
    IMG_0362[1].JPG
    383.1 KB · Views: 17
Same number as your turquoise car! If that matters.
I hadn't noticed. I actually think I have another of the turquois cars. I just haven't dug deep enough yet.

wonder how those two cars had the same number the green one is athearn and the two color is ahm
I replaced the trucks on mine
I'm thinking I really need to change the trucks as well. I'm just not sure how to remove the plastic pins that hold them to the frame. Although I haven't spent more than a couple of minutes on it. I think I bought this for $3 at a train show years ago.

Here's one I think I need to let go.

20240205_180237[1].jpg

20240205_180240[1].jpg

By the time I ship it, it's probably not worth it.

The AHM car those pins are probably press fit so you can gently pry them out with a flat blade screwdriver Mine are on using screws now
so I took out the pins glued them back in and cut them down and drilled and taped for screws the kadee box is also screwed on

That Athean GE unit if you have the handrail set then it should be ok It's not that old and on ebay $50 to $100

And found a couple more Keeps putting files upside down

Last edited:
The AHM car those pins are probably press fit so you can gently pry them out with a flat blade screwdriver Mine are on using screws now
so I took out the pins glued them back in and cut them down and drilled and taped for screws the kadee box is also screwed on

That Athean GE unit if you have the handrail set then it should be ok It's not that old and on ebay $50 to $100

And found a couple more Keeps putting files upside down
I do have the rails and I believe all the other parts.

I finally got caught up, with the photos at least. My time is short and It's good to have something to go to when I do have time. I'll be back.

Splendid work, thank you for sharing!

I love the Great Northern Goat!

Back