My layout, based on the Camas Prairie Railroad. Will keep updated.

NIevo

Well I though I would share my project with you guys. So far it is only a 30"x9' switching layout that will become part of my master-plan down the road. For any of you that know the protype this would be roughly Orofino. The roadbed that is down is permanent, everything else including that track is just set in place as I was playing around with the trackplan.

This picture is the overview of the layout.

sept07100wb7.jpg

This shows the sawmill arrangement. I set cars on the tracks so you would know what there purpose is. This is the log car unloading area. The track with the roadbed will eventually be the mainline. The track closest to you will be a yard siding.

sept07101dk2.jpg

This shows the right side of the layout. The mainline is going to go into a tunnel right at the wall. The track closest to you is where the empties are left and the siding just on the other side of the mainline is where the loaded cars are set out. The empty trains will go from left to right, and the loaded from right to left. In the protype theres only about 30miles of track left after this to the right but with plenty of timber and grain traffic.

The track going behind the trees is a spur that heads out to the woods to a big logging area and a sawmill. The track with the centerbeam on it is the finished lumber loading track. One right behind that can be used for the same or its the woodchip loading track. This whole right side is going to be timbered and the start of the mountain area. In real life it is part of the town of Orofino but I like modeling the woods much better then a town:D

sept07102zc0.jpg

This is just another shot back toward the mill. You can see the woodchip loader track headed behind the mill.

sept07103mx1.jpg

Well, there it is. I will keep this page updated as I complete it. Hope you like it and any advice or questions feel free to let me know.

Thanks!

It should keep me busy with the switching possibilities but I cant wait till I can actually get enough space where the trains can go somewhere :)

Looks like a great start to me. Plenty of switching opportunities and it looks like it would be easy to tie into a larger layout when then time comes.

Can't wait to see it as it develops! I have a lot of family in Orofino. A bunch of my uncles and cousins used to work in the woods up there.

Looks like my layout, wood and pink color. But, mine is way more cluttered with layout buildings and all of the other stuff I put on it as storage..... But, the track is clear (mostly) so I can run trains.....

Kennedy

Looks like my layout, wood and pink color. But, mine is way more cluttered with layout buildings and all of the other stuff I put on it as storage..... But, the track is clear (mostly) so I can run trains.....

Kennedy

Lol...so was mine, I just cleared it off to take pics.

firetacoma-were you ever up there to see much of the railroad?

Not in its hayday... I'm sure my uncle was though. He helped build the Dworshack (sp?) dam. They live up past town near a HUGE train trestle over the creek/road if you're familiar with that area at all.

Yeah, I know that area. Right by the Konkolville sawmill I believe. You think that trestle is impressive, have you ever been on the road between Lewiston and Grangeville? Trestles like that everywhere you look. Maintenance on that line was huge.

Yes! I couldn't remember the name of the mill but that is it. I am sure I've been on the road between lewiston and grangeville but can't remember it for the life of me. I love that area up there. We used to spend summers up there when I was a kid. Did you live in the area? You know any McLeans from up there?

Yes! I couldn't remember the name of the mill but that is it. I am sure I've been on the road between lewiston and grangeville but can't remember it for the life of me. I love that area up there. We used to spend summers up there when I was a kid. Did you live in the area? You know any McLeans from up there?

The name sounds really familiar. My parents probably would, they still live in Grangeville. I grew up in Kamiah and Kooskia.

I used to clean it off, but space is becoming an issue. But, I'll have to do something because one of the modules is being converted to the Spacemouse trackplan. Fortunately, that module has the least amount of stuff on it....

:D

Kennedy

Yes, it is HO. I kinda wish I was doing N smply because of space but I already had way to much HO stuff.

Here are a couple new pics. Show the sawmill almost done except for some small details and weathering, and alittle more roadbed laid down.

sept07280dr7.jpg

sept07282rl1.jpg

sept07281hv5.jpg

Here are a couple log cars I'm working on. First is a 50' Athearn I cut the deck out of and am going to add styrene and repaint. Second is a Walthers log car Im going to remove the low bunks and add the higher Detail West bunks you see next to it.

sept07372pb2.jpg

sept07371hu7.jpg

Back