my homemade stucco city hall

GAPPLEG

SP modeler
Posted this across the street also. :) For Better or worse, here is my long standing project to get a stucco building for my layout because no one seems to produce one. HO guys.

1. I cheated a bit , Walthers did finally produce a misson style station and freight house, so , I purchase and made molds of the wall from the freight house. The station is much too big for my use. I used the CR-300 kit from Micro Mark.

These are the raw walls after casting in resin.

building003.png

I had a size in mind ( it's a small town ) so I sliced and diced till I got the size I wanted. test fitted doors and windows and fake beams that are prevelant on modern versions.

stucco12002.png

Added color to get an idea how it will look and highlight flaws I want to correct.

ctyhall.png

After much fussing and hair pulling , (explains my bald spot) I assembled and temporarily placed it on the layout to see if all is well. If and when I ever try this casting in resin I have learned alot. Not perfect by any means but I'm getting more of a Southwest look that I wanted and needed. I still can't believe Southwestern style buildings don't exist , considering the amount of modelers of the West.

Front Shot:

ctyhallcomplete001.png

Side shot from roof of building across the street.

ctyhallcomplete003.png

Nice stukko building, good work.

I think that uphill road in the background has a very sharp angle from the horizontal part to the slop :) needs to be extended a little longer and smoothen the sharp slope point. :)

(Just a suggestion.)

Howdy, Gapleg. Glad to see you here. I didn't get a chance to comment at the other site. The city hall looks very good -typical southern California. Now you need some signs so the citizens know where the city hall is. :) That road does look a little steep. I suspect replacing the semi with a small car would help with the perspective.

Two comments on the road , guess I'll have to fix that.
This was just a test placement , just to make sure I'm happy with it. Lighting is in but I haven't drilled through the table for the wires yet so they are lifting the building a bit. Yep the signs will be coming. The back door is the police office. Thought you'd like to know that. Will be touching thing up at bit soon.The interior is decorated with office pictures on the walls. Looking forward to producing better buildings in the future with what I've learned from this little project.

Two comments on the road , guess I'll have to fix that.
This was just a test placement , just to make sure I'm happy with it. Lighting is in but I haven't drilled through the table for the wires yet so they are lifting the building a bit. Yep the signs will be coming. The back door is the police office. Thought you'd like to know that. Will be touching thing up at bit soon.The interior is decorated with office pictures on the walls. Looking forward to producing better buildings in the future with what I've learned from this little project.

One thing you could do for the road is plant a tree, a row of trees (tall, skinny ones like a mini-windbreak) or an electric transformer mounted on twin utility poles - anything to obscure but not completely block the view - between the tracks and the road right at the transition. That will help to disguise the vertical bend without having to remodel it. Any effort you'd spend correcting the road could then be spent giving those motorists signs to obey (Speed Limit, Slippery When Wet, Don't Litter, etc.) or protection from crashes (a guardrail might make that truck driver feel a little better going down that hill on a snowy night!).

The previous poster's suggestion of replacing the truck with a car to help with perspective is spot on. Sound advice! Illusion is the name of the game.

Your stucco building looks nice, by the way. ;)

Like UP2CSX said you might want to park a police car or two by the building. The town's dogs also seem to be quite pleased with your decision to add a fire hydrant.

Thanks for all the kind comments and suggestions, This placement is temporary as stated originally. Some landscaping has to be done and the lighting wires need to be pulled down, And yep I got three cop cars around that will be parking there soon. Signs etc in the works. Thanks all .

Back