My HO Layout Update

kickem98

Hello,

A while back I responded to a thread about yard leads and ladders. I was in the trackwork stage of my layout at that time. Since then I have been methodically progressing until a major change occured...due to my job, I had to move. My layout is built as modules for that very probability. So I took about 5 months off of construction to move it...table by table...BY MYSELF...with no major/catastrophic damage.

The layout is approximately 10' x 12' with a middle peninsula. It is a loop/circle track plan for continuous running. It is simple. I am using this as a project to gain more experience with wiring and scenery. So nothing too spectacular. I did build a doubled ended 4 track yard. Industries are a paper mill, power plant, grain elevator/anhydrous ammonia dealer, beverage distributor and lumber company.

In the last few days I have been able to reassemble it and surprisingly it went very smooth and it runs fine. Attached are some pictures from my previous place and some from the new place. Let me know what you think!

photos 1 & 2: my yard.
photo 3: A local rushes past the oldest structure on the layout...Standard Electric. I do not own this building. It is my older brother's. He lets me "borrow" it since he did not pick up the hobby. The bridge is the first railroad bridge I have ever constructed. It is a mix of two types of Atlas bridges.
photo 4: The new place...an overview minus the yard to the right.

more to come.

Though my layout is free lanced, I use models from the RF&P Railroad. I have some custom painted units but, GOD BLESS Atlas...as for Athearn's GP40-2s and 35s...shame on you...the colors were WAY off but, you did redeem yourselves with the SW1500...very nice.

I was born and raised in the "F" (Fredericksburg) in those reporting marks so I can't really get into running other railroads. However, the layout does receive visitors from all over.

More Photos....

photo 1: The "town". My modules are between 18" and 2' wide. So, all I model is one half of a "main street".
photo 2: The bridge with "custom built" piers. A point of pride...that bridge does not move at all when a train passes over it.
photo 3: My local at the yard hold out behind Standard Electric.
photo 4: The engine house.

Still a few more to come.

More photos...

photo 1: The first of two structures that taught me patience. The paper mill from Walthers...both buildings and details took 2 days(one weekend), 1/4 bottle of testors cement and 3/4 bottle of ProWeld to complete.
photo 2: The power plant also from Walthers. Along side is the substation and high tension towers. The plant can take as many as 13 coal hoppers...not much but, on a 10'x12' layout...it works.

This is all I have for now. I look forward to seeing your thoughts.

Nice Layout!! I really like that bridge, its coming along nicely! :D

Your lucky to have one of those HO Superior Paper Plant kits, I could use 3-4 of those kits, but i dont have a single one yet! LOL. I refuse to pay the extreme prices on ebay for them lol

Trucklover,

I had the kits for the paper mill and power plant for 8-9 years....just finally had the time to build a layout that could hold them. The mill I got for a shocking deal....about $25 at a train show. The guy said he couldn't sell it in his store. The power plant was a birthday gift.

Back