My first railfanning.

mike8693

Today "Old Smokey" Carried 119 tons of sand from Louisville to Lexington. This is my first attempt so pictures are crappy. Smokey is a QJ 2-10-2 that was built in 1986 in China and was recently brought to the states by rj corman, refurbished, and this is its first run.(I havent got around to croping out cars yet.) I thought they were pretty good for my lack of photo skills and my 80 dollar ge camera.It is running on a CsX line.
GEDC0004.jpg

GEDC0007.jpg

GEDC0005.jpg

GEDC0003.jpg

GEDC0002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice pics, nothing crappy about them at all. Corman did a great job on the 2-10-2 restoration. Looks like a restored Southern Railway caboose bringing up the end too. Are they planning on running "Old Smokey" on a regular basis? I was just looking at their website and Rick Corman's medical condition is not good, regardless of how optimistic the press release makes it sound. I hope he really does have some good years ahead of him since he's been the driving force behind the company, including getting steam back in operation.

It is only going to run special occations. It is the start of them running sand from Lou. to Lex. They said they will be hauling enough sand to eliminate 30,000 truck trips a year. I think they are trying to get there name out there as there is talks of passenger operations on the line to connect rural communities to louisville and Tarc (Transit authority of River City).

Nice pics Mike! That's a cool locomotive. I couldn't help but have the thought cross my mind... now our stinkin steam locomotives are made in China! :D

I think they are trying to get there name out there as there is talks of passenger operations on the line to connect rural communities to louisville and Tarc (Transit authority of River City).
That'd be nice to see yet another commuter operation, more reasons for trains to be running.

Yeah it would be great.Around here the only passenger cars running are for rj corman theatre dinner train and some at a museum.

Thanks everyone. I went to walmart and got a few made. I cant believe how well there photo machines work it got all the glare of the tender, cleared up the lettering, and got everything cropped. For 3.00 bucks for 12 pics. and 20 minutes i was quite impressed. Only thing I wish is that I got a full profile of the engine but there was a overgrown fence and trees behind me and I was as far back as I could go. =)

Ask my wife how "well" their machines work. She works in the photo lab, and theirs breaks every week. You must be lucky and have a newer machine.

they did a good job of making is look less" Chinese."

Actually, Chinese steam engines look almost identical to American steam engines, mostly because they were either supplied by the US during and after WWII or because the later Chinese engines were just reverse engineered Baldwin products. I had a chance to visit Shanghai in 1978 and there was no photography allowed and they weren't kidding, as in, you'd get shot. :eek: I did manage to get a look at a few freight yards and there were 0-6-0's, 0-8-0's, Consolidations and and 2-8-2's in abundance. I think the the 2-10-2's ran further north toward Manchuria but I never saw any that far south. It looked just like being in an NKP yard in the mid-50's when I was a kid.

Ask my wife how "well" their machines work. She works in the photo lab, and theirs breaks every week. You must be lucky and have a newer machine.

Are Walmart is only about three months old. The machines are always being used so Im sure its only a matter of time.:D

Back