My first Layout - a 5' x 9' Modern BNSF Freelance

A couple of more views of the downtown area.

IMG_2454.jpg

IMG_2455.jpg

I connected the expansion to the main layout with a removable bridge. I keep thinking I need to add sides to it so trains don't fall off, but they traverse it with no issues, so I dunno.
I had to modify the existing 5x9 layout slightly where the new bridge connects.

IMG_2457.jpg

IMG_2458.jpg

Since I moved the large Agco building to the expansion, I had to do something in the spot where it used to reside on the 5x9 layout. I went back and forth between a gas station, or an old fashioned DQ. I opted for the DQ for a bit more interesting scene. I also needed to have a reason for the siding that was along the front of the layout, as I did not want to have to remove it, so I added a loading dock that can either represent an industry just off the edge of the layout, a remote loading dock for an industry that is not along the tracks, or just a team track / loading dock for multiple customers.

IMG_2459.jpg

IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_2461.jpg

Overall views of the expansion.

IMG_2463.jpg

IMG_2464.jpg

IMG_2465.jpg

Next project? Build another expansion along the opposite wall, with rolling hills and farmland, then connect it all together so I have one large continuous running loop. That will require some modifications on the original 5x9 near the DQ, to have mainline track run off the layout in that area. But, that will be far down the road. I intend to post more pictures (and hopefully better quality) when I finish all the details and other missing things along the expansion.

Oh, and maybe some videos finally.

Tiger!

Great to see what you've been up to-very nicely done, again, like I wrote, way back in '13. Can't wait to see your next expansion. Starting small and expanding, I've decided at this point, is the way to go(unlike what I've done in the past, or currently-with starting large, and having nothing complete, running or finished for what has seemed a very long time in my case). How long have you been 'in the hobby?' However you came to this point in terms of the level your scenery, and layout design, should be thanked, or complimented vigorously. If you 'did your own homework,' and learned it on your own, I'd be interested to know which sources you used, or found useful, as I've been 'in the hobby' for 40ish years, and none of my scenery has ever looked as complete as yours, fwiw.

My hats off to you!

Goes to show people that you don't need 100' x 100' to have a very good, well done layout. Longer runs can be fun, but large layouts take a long time to complete and a lot of maintenance, which if you're not independently wealthy, or retired, etc, can take a lot of time, which a lot of people don't have.

Keep on posting, and those photos (or videos) coming! Very inspiring/motivational!

Thank you sir! I obviously agree with the idea of starting small and expanding for many reasons. It's nice to have something "finished" within 20 years, if you know what I mean. Then you are on to the next area, and so on. Also, I don't have the room for a huge layout, and to me, it would be daunting to be looking at a huge layout, just starting out, and not feel overwhelmed with how much has to be done.

I have been in the hobby since I was a young teen, but I don't know if that really counts, since all I did for 25 years was read Model Railroader and go to a few train shows. I only started modeling about 5 years ago or so. Over all of those years of reading, I tagged the articles that had in my opinion the best looking scenery and techniques, and have also picked up really good books from Pelle Soeborg on modeling scenery (such as Essential Model Railroad Scenery Techniques.) Many of these techniques are very easy to do. Just find what looks most realistic and go with that. There are also lots of videos on youtube for scenery techniques. Also, look at pictures of how things look in the real world, and try to copy it as much as you can.

Some of my favorite layouts I have ever seen in MR and other places, are usually quite small. What attracts me the most are highly realistic, very detailed scenes, and those aren't always possible on large layouts due to the sheer size and the time it would take to put that much effort over an entire layout.

Thanks again for all of the kind words. Good luck in your own modeling!

Don't know know I missed your posts. Excellent detail work on a variety of different scenes. Well done.

Back