My first ever attempt at weathering a boxcar

flyboy2610

Loveably weird
I must have done this at least 15 years ago. I had decided, while putting down track willy-nilly on the Plywood Central I had in the basement of our last house, to get into weathering cars. I had absolutely no idea of what I was doing, but that has never been known to stop me in the past. So I grabbed a boxcar and went at it. At the time I didn't even know acrylic paints existed, so I used what I thought everyone else used: Testors enamel paints in the tiny little bottles. I just sort of splotched it on there wherever I thought some should go. It's not pretty, but it's my first time. I may doctor it up a bit later on, but for now it's on the layout just like it is.
Side 1:
007.JPG

Side 2:
008.JPG

I don't know what brand of car it is. The under-frame is a 1 piece metal casting with the brake details cast on. I gave it metal wheels and Kadee #5 couplers. It may be 1/2 oz. light, but I'm not going to worry about that.
It's ugly, but it's special. Kind of like me.:p

It doesn't look too bad, the caution I will offer is that it is very heavy. The only thing that saves it is its all in the same color palette as the car so it tends to blend. Generally its best to start lighter and practice skills to get to heavier. Also practice getting streaks that flow with what caused them. You have some kinda blobby shmears of weathering on the sides, a thinner, straight vertical, stuff around rivet lines and seams, will look better.

Start with very, very thin washes, several drops of paint in a couple teaspoons of thinner and use that to wash the car.

Excellent first weathering job! More practice and the work becomes better.

I'll second Dave on his comments and just add one more of my own. Be sure to wash the car(s) before weathering to avoid smears and spotting of the weathering medium.

Keep up the good work.

Greg

I know I made a lot of mistakes with it, but I won't make those same mistakes again. Next time I'll make new ones!
I kunow a lot more about what to done and not to did 'cause now I be eddycated!

Back