My beginner HO layout, 4 x 6 in my garage

Great work Scott!

Keep in mind if it does look perfect, it won't be realistic.

What it is made of is insignificant, all that matters is what the completed work looks like and like I said yours looks great!

You've got a nice layout Scott. It's coming along well and you're doing a fine job. Quick question, do you have the mchenry style couplers on your rolling stock or the horn n hook kind?

This is so inspiring... u should start giving my students some cereal boxes and balsa wood and have them start making up their own buildings... yours looks like it was professionally built!

Erik,
Thanks for the kimd words. I used a paper cutter to cut the box into strips, it is the kind that has a small circular blade and you slide it across whatever you are cutting. Thanks again for looking.

Scott

Thanks Tony, you never know how this stuff is going to turn out, I was never a very good craft guy. I might try another structure if I have some stufff to built it out of.

Thanks
Scott

Thanks Louis, You see so many good looking scratch built structures out there, sometimes you are afraid to try to build one when you don't have all the right stuff. Thanks for the encouragement.

Scott

burakol, thanks a lot. I thought I would give the cereal box material a try. I watched a video on youtube on building a wood sided shack, he used stripwood and wood supports for the walls, so I thought maybe I could replace the stripwood with thin cut strips of cereal box and wooden matchsticks for wall supports. If you need anymore info on the steps to build it, please let me know. Thanks for looking.

Scott

Thanks Steve, the inspiration for the biulding was actually from the town I live in. The building was next to the train depot from about 1870 to about 1970 or so. It was the Wells Fargo building along the tracks, I had seen some pics of it and thought it would work well on the layout. Unfortunately all of the railroad buildings were removed by 1970 to 1971, it's a shame that most people don't even know that the railroad had passenger service through this town. I believe that there are some original track still on the site, Central Pacific Railroad put them in around 1870. I have not yet looked to confirm, my wife thinks that I would be trespassing.

Thanks
Scott

Hey guys,
I just wanted to put up some more pictures of the layout. I finished the last section of the layout that needed scenery and buildings, so I thought I woiuld put them up. I purchased the rural grain elevator by Walthers from ebay for a pretty good price and the white one is another home made structure from strips of cereal box and the frame is a milk carton. I know it's not the best in town but at least it filled in the layout and looks like something. Now I need to get people and period correct vehicles and other stuff to make all of the scenes look more realistic. Thanks for looking.

Scott

grain6.jpggrain7.jpggrain8.jpggrain9.jpg

Looks great Scott, your layout has really come to life. I have that same grain elevator in N scale. Haven't got around to finding a home for it on the layout just yet.

Wish mine was progressing as fast!

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Steve, I really like that grain elevator, I thought it went pretty good with the layout. I think the only reason that this layout is moving along, is because it is pretty basic and not very big. I am sure if it was more complicated and larger. I would be at a much different stage. I still need to do a lot more work with it but at least the basics are pretty much done now. Thanks again for looking.

Scott

Thanks A2TwrOpr, moving one small sep at a time.

Thanks Johne230, it's funny how long you can stand in front of the layout and stare at it until you have some sort of idea of what you might do.

Jeff, thanks a lot for the kind words.

Thanks Lynn, I never thought I would get this far, still have a lot of stuff to do but thats ok, do not know what I would do if I actually finished.

Tony, thank you sir. The home built elevator was kind of a test to see if it would work. I set a milk carton on the layout one day and looked at it, I said to myself that might be a good grain elevator. I used strips of cereal box to simulate wood planks and glued them to the outside of the milk carton. I found a good deal on the Walthers elevator on ebay, normally I see them for around $35 plus shipping. I found this one for $23 plus $5 shipping, so I thought I would make a grain area on the layout. Thanks again for looking.

Scott

Back