MTH Proto 3 sound decoder experience

Looking for anyone with some experience with a Proto 3 decoder. I have 2 MTH HO ES44's. I have them consisted back to back together no problem. I can't seem to get the lights to cooperate. The rear headlights on the trailing unit still want to turn on in Forward and the rear lights on the leader come on in reverse. I've followed the manual exactly but the lights still come on. Just wondering if anyone ran into the same problem with the SD70's?

Nate

Never had that problem with the PS3. I have an SD70 the number boards won't shut off, but that's because that particular engine has a Tsunami.
I do know you can change which functions respond to consist addresses. Did you possibly enable Function 0 to respond to the consist address?

Terry, I programmed cv22 to a value of 1 per the instructions which say this will set up the headlights and keep the rear light on the motor off. I've read through the whole manual and I can't figure out why its still turning on. I must be missing something. I had to program CV22 in the rear facing trailing motor to 0 just so that I could keep the rear light on it from being on. I think I will just have to call MTH. Programming is obviously not my specialty.

Nate

What DCC system are you using? You may want to program on the main engine 55 to cv55=55 to reset the engines. If you have other engines you want to MU with them, setting CV52 to 1 should allow the to play more nice with other stuff.

Looking for anyone with some experience with a Proto 3 decoder. I have 2 MTH HO ES44's. I have them consisted back to back together no problem. I can't seem to get the lights to cooperate. The rear headlights on the trailing unit still want to turn on in Forward and the rear lights on the leader come on in reverse. I've followed the manual exactly but the lights still come on. Just wondering if anyone ran into the same problem with the SD70's?

Nate

I'm having the same issue. I have 2 HO SD70M-2's and an Athearn SD60M in an advanced consist. The two MTH SD70's are forward facing. The Athearn SD60M is the trailing loco and is running in reverse. Setting CV22=0 (no lights) works fine for the the MTH SD70 in the middle. But, like you, the rear lights on the leading MTH SD70 come on in reverse. It doesn't seem to matter whether CV22=1 or CV22=2. Of course the trailing Athearn SD60M works as expected based on it's CV22 value.

An image illustrating my issue: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7IHfYcVqwI_T0hTOHQ2bVJFOWM/view?usp=sharing

Did you ever find a resolution?

I've gotten confirmation from MTH that this is indeed a software issue with the locomotives. They are not properly handling bits 0 & 1 in CV22. Tech support posted software updates for me on their website. I can confirm the software updates resolved my issue. To reiterate, I was having consist lighting issues with my SD70M-2's and my new (summer 2015) ES44AC's as described by the OP.

The unfortunate part is that it requires a DCS system to perform the software upgrade. So if you don't have one, you have to hope your LHS has one.

Back