MRC/Tsunami Programming Problem/Solution

csx 404

The other day we ran into an interesting problem at the club layout. We had three locomotives, two Atheran and one Stewart/Bowser that came from the store DCC/Sound equipped with Tsunami decoders. All three locomotives were new out of the box and had the same issue. When we went to program them on the programming track, the MRC (Prodigy Express Squared) system did not recognize them. When we placed them on the main track the engines ran and could not be slowed or stopped. The sound also worked, without any control.

We stumbled upon a solution. While holding the locomotives on the main track (with them running) we got the handheld to recognize them by manually typing "3" (not 0003, just 3) in the address line, hit enter, then assign them an address number.

Don't ask me why, but it worked for all of them. My guess is that they might have been shipped with the deocders in DC mode and perhaps forcing the handheld to recognize them as "3" fixed that. Not sure, just a guess. I'm new to DCC, so perhaps someone else on here knows what happened and why, but I'd like to offer it as a solution to others if it helps.

"0003" might have been seen by either the system or the decoders as an extended address. If the system hasn't been set up to automatically reassign the decoders extended addresses, that may have been what happened. "3" is a short address.

If I recall right you need a power booster for the MRC to read back CV settings on the newer decoders. I know my MRC A2 will read my DH123 but wont read any of my tsunamis. This is what I think soundtraxx had told me? I think they also said the MRC needs a booster to read them as well as alot of other high end decoders.
I can set the CV values on the main track and on the program track but I cant read them back.
hope this helps

Trent

Last edited by a moderator:

Back