Mountain Pass

Sweet-Chuck

Well, here are a few pics of at my first attempt at not only modeling some rough mountain terrain, but also at using paper mache/rigid wrap.

I've got some other items to add but here's where I'm currently at.:)

looks very similar to mine.......................excellent work

picture.php

Looks like a good start Sweet-Chuck! You might also want to play around with wadding up old newspaper into balls a putting your plaster cloth over it. I find it helps smooth out jagged spots, while creating a bulging rock formation at the same time.

Swiggy, that is a beautiful layout!

i agree with aytrane, also, u can use a can of spray foam "greatstuff"..........it expands, but can make really good hills/mountains after covered with plaster cloth-u can carve it too;)

I can't wait to see trees and bushes and rocks and such...................keep the pics coming:D

Wow thanks for the encouraging feedback everybody!
First of all @Swiggy: let's get something clear...mine looks NOTHING like yours!!!!!! Yours looks SWEET!

And yes, creating other formations and such with newspaper and foam was certainly in my mind, but I was just so darn excited to just get something going "at this end" of the train layout that I just pulled a couple late nights and threw it all together.

Now that I have a bit experience under my belt, I will try some other ideas as I develop this area and start on other areas.

As for trees and such....it's only a matter of money!!!:(

SC

Honestly............mine looked like that before I progressed further and added things........just sayin' looks like ur off to a great start.......keep those pics comin':D

trees are expensive, just look for deals on e-bay or a train show.
toothpicks and some woodland scenic clump foliage make great bushes

Wow thanks for the encouraging feedback everybody!
First of all @Swiggy: let's get something clear...mine looks NOTHING like yours!!!!!! Yours looks SWEET!

And yes, creating other formations and such with newspaper and foam was certainly in my mind, but I was just so darn excited to just get something going "at this end" of the train layout that I just pulled a couple late nights and threw it all together.

Now that I have a bit experience under my belt, I will try some other ideas as I develop this area and start on other areas.

As for trees and such....it's only a matter of money!!!:(

SC

could always go the natural (free) route and use real twigs and things to simulate logging and what not, may not be perfect but like i said its free and natural ;) looking great on your start there! and yes this in conjunction to scenic "clumps" or what ever that stuff is called by you...it also would simulate fallen trees and the like...

Last edited by a moderator:

Back