MOTOR RECOMENDATIONS PLEASE

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

blackz28

BOUGHT THIS MTH GUTTED BIG BOY I ORDERED REPLACEMENT PARTS FROM BLI & NOW IM PLANNING ON SOUND DECODER & MOTOR SO ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ON MOTOR???? SINCE I WILL BE GOING WITH TCS WOW DECODER
GUTTED 4014.jpg
GUTTED BIG BOY.jpg

Last edited:

wvg_ca

never had a mth big boy gutted ... so no recommendations ...
by the way, using all caps makes it -appear- as if you are shouting

Espeefan

Right now there are a ton of cheap motors on eBay. I don’t know what size motor opening you might have so I can’t make a recommendation other than to take a look and see which one might fit. I’ve bought a bunch of different sizes. They all seem to run well. No stinkers yet.

twforeman

Right now there are a ton of cheap motors on eBay. I don’t know what size motor opening you might have so I can’t make a recommendation other than to take a look and see which one might fit. I’ve bought a bunch of different sizes. They all seem to run well. No stinkers yet.
I bought a cheap re-motor "kit" on eBay. It was a can motor, a piece of flex tube and some wires. It worked okay for my purpose but the top speed isn't very high. Not a concern for me since I'm just switching, but if you want to high-ball on the mainline you need to check the specs.

NorthWest Shortline is supposed to be coming back and they are a great source.

Espeefan

I bought a cheap re-motor "kit" on eBay. It was a can motor, a piece of flex tube and some wires. It worked okay for my purpose but the top speed isn't very high. Not a concern for me since I'm just switching, but if you want to high-ball on the mainline you need to check the specs.

NorthWest Shortline is supposed to be coming back and they are a great source.
Yeah if you want to pay 30 bucks plus per motor! I bought several batches of motors on eBay. This one, an 18MM square that I've put into several HO Northerns and they work fine:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mabuchi-SF...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 14,400 RPM.

I also bought these, a little higher speed, 22,200 RPM. They look quite a bit like the Kato motors. I haven't installed one yet but have several recommendations from other folks on a brass group I frequent. They get good marks. If you run DCC, and don't want high speed just program your top speed to where you want it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-24V...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

MikeM

BOUGHT THIS MTH GUTTED BIG BOY I ORDERED REPLACEMENT PARTS FROM BLI & NOW IM PLANNING ON SOUND DECODER & MOTOR SO ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ON MOTOR???? SINCE I WILL BE GOING WITH TCS WOW DECODER View attachment 40103 View attachment 40104
Here is a pic of one of the larger Bachmann motors I installed in a Rivarossi AC11. She ended up with right at 4.5 OZ of pulling power (loco needs more weight) with new traction tires. Also has Soundtraxx TSU-2200 and dual iPhone 6 speakers. I still need to add the class lights.

Attachments

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.