Most complex track plan?

Nucular

I am interested to know what is the most complex track plan for a model railroad?

I am asking, because I am trying to get more ideas on how to use turnouts and level crossovers/junctions together to create interesting and space saving elements. I know of the Wye, double cross over, two single crossovers next to each other, but I am sure that there are lot more types and interesting geometry configurations. Since my layout is on a regular table instead of a narrow around the room layout, I have space for some interesting junctions.

Can someone point me to some examples. Even real life layouts from Google map would be appreciated.

Something like this?

abl_2_2.gif

BK Enterprises, or B&K Enterprises, (if that's still their name), was a custom turnout maker years back. In their ads in MR, they had a picture of the turnout/crossing here in this link from IH's post. http://www.freerails.com/gallery/589..._410000000.jpg

It looked just like it, a crossing thru the turnout, also involving the frog. I bet it would be a bear to wire, DC or DCC.

On an O-scale module that I built with a friend while in Mobile, we had an On3/On2 line coming off an O main. The On3/On2 also split off in several different directions at various places. Took us 3 weeks to build it and it took my partner another 3 months to get it wired! That thing had more electrical switches to control polarity and the switch machines on it. Not surprising, considering we were dealing with 3 different track gauges. I think that I have an old pic of it around here somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

We used it along with 3 other modules and had modeled parts of a lumbercamp. I had an original run AHM Heisler, that I had widened the gauge to On3, and used a Virginia City Models resin kit to convert the boiler to O-scale. Still have the engine, although the body literally falling apart. I had also built a couple of On3 cars for it. We used Grandt Line link and pin couplers on it. Ever tried uncoupling with a pair of tweezers?

Its your link, I merely copied it from your post. I bet it didn't copy the entire link, but truncated it due to the dots in the link! I used your original just now to go to the picture, and here it is copied directly from the website. http://www.freerails.com/gallery/589/589_211411_410000000.jpg I was just using the link to illustrate the turnout they had in their ad.

Definitely works now.

Just wish I could find one of their old ads.

Just wish I could find one of their old ads.
Me too. It is so funny that I have the 75years of MR on DVD. I have searched every which way from Tuesday and cannot find the add. I'm beginning to wonder if it was in MRC instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
That cross over through the turnout is cool. I do not have the skills to make something like that, but I could see that coming in handy on a tight layout.

I like that Wye, that is very interesting, I have never seen on like that, but I can see how it saves some space length wise as you have two tails at angles instead of one at 90.

Where is that located at?

I just browsed that site. Wow! Thanks for sharing that. That has to be the most complex pieces of track work ever designed and built.

That's the work of one of the founders of Fast Tracks, the outfit that makes the hand - laid turnout kits. I recall that he developed their product line because he was looking for ways to make that kind of complex track work.

From the DairyStatePhone

That's the work of one of the founders of Fast Tracks, the outfit that makes the hand - laid turnout kits. I recall that he developed their product line because he was looking for ways to make that kind of complex track work.

If you read the blog, you will see that much of the track on that layout is hand laid to fit the specific spot, not using the FT tools. The layout came long after the tools were first offered for sale. Still exceptional work.

I remember when I first became aware of the Fasttracks jigs and tools, reading about the Bronx Terminal on their website. The oval freight house was designed so that cars could be spotted at the doors you can see in the outer walls for freight transfers and road transport would deliver and pickup from within the building yard. The oddest thing about the trackplan shown is that freight cars can't be exited from that inner oval track in a continuous fashion (elephant style) but have to be reversed out via either of the 2 turnout tracks.

They did at the time produce for sale some limited edition paintings of that terminal.

Back