More Weathering Tips and Techniques When Using Oil Paints for Weathering

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
I've been finding that when using oil paints to weather a piece of rolling stock, usually less is more. Oil paints go a long way and we have a tendency to over use oil paints when weathering a model.

Second, we need to wait a long time between oil applications and patience is a true virtue when weathering with oils. Several days is the minimum drying time for most oi paint. There some oils that dry rapidly, but still it is important to allow each application of oil to dry before proceeding.

I've found that the oils maybe need to be thinned slightly while using them. I use a odor free, fast drying thinner.

I like a coat of DullKote between applications of the oils to keep the layers of oils separated, but there are times when allowing the different colors of oils to mix can produce great results.

I found this U-Tube video on techniques to weather a Panzer tank which can be applied to weathering model railroad rolling stock. The author offers some great tips on fading methods using oils and when he first applies some oil paint it is a bit frightening at first that he applied too much oil especially the black.

Tutorial: Oil Weathering Effects for Panzer Grey Model Tanks - Bing video

All weathering techniques take time to practice and you can find cheap rolling stock at swap meets and LHS bargain corners and they are the best subjects to practice on and not use $30.00 box cars.

Greg

Back