Modelling damaged locos and cars

CbarM

HO all the way!
Has anyone custom modelled damaged locos or rolling stock? I want to do 1 or 2, but make it realistic. Ive been told that by using aluminum foil in place of body panels and then laying it over will produce a realistic appearance...whats your alls opinions?

CbarM:

What type of rolling stock do you want to model as damaged cars?

Open cars like cons can be modeled damaged using a soldering iron or heat tool to metal the plastic body to look like it was damaged. It may take some practice to have the damage look correct. Consider dents to the sides of the body, damage to the top of the body sides and there equipment may have ran to close to the car body and did damage to the sides.

Pieces of square styrene glued to the body of a box car can make it look like it was repaired.

Do a search on this site and I believe that there are other posts similar to yours.

Thanks.

Greg

Notice the square "patches" on the sides of the ore cars. These were undecorated ore cars weather with paint, followed by powers. New Ore Cars.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya have to look again at this one. It's a damaged container well car, minus the trucks, chained down to a flat car for transport.

Actually this really was damaged when I bought it off of ebay. The seller described it as like new but in fact the end pins were broken off and the king pin sockets were stripped. I filed a complaint with ebay but the guy never responded and never logged in on his account again. Another black eye for ebay.

Container%20Well%20Damaged_zpsm9otrrup.png

Ya have to look again at this one. It's a damaged container well car, minus the trucks, chained down to a flat car for transport.

Actually this really was damaged when I bought it off of ebay. The seller described it as like new but in fact the end pins were broken off and the king pin sockets were stripped. I filed a complaint with ebay but the guy never responded and never logged in on his account again. Another black eye for ebay.

If you paid by paypal Ken, you should have been able to claim on that.

Back