modeling steel cable

flyrdr

Anyone have any tips for modeling steel cable? I'm scratchbuilding a coaling tower from plans of a prototype in which the coal bucket is hoisted up the outside of the tower via a cable running from the bucket over pulleys and into the hoist house. I've seen some commercial cable but it's much too heavy to be realistic. Any thoughts?

I'd also be interested in that answer.
I'm considering modeling the electrified section of Amtrak/Metro-North through Connecticut. I'll be needing to string the wires for the 4-track mainline. (I'm not going to power it, as that would make DCC inop in one direction.)
Anybody have experience modeling overhead wires?

One things that comes to mind is a type of string used for jewelry. It usually coated with a silvery or gold coating leaving it still quite flexible. You might find a similar type of thread at the $$ stores, sewing supplies and craft stores.
Just a thought, I know I've seen it around somewhere.

Willis

Some reason why fishing line wouldn't work? You can paint it if you need to and it should look enough like steel cable for most purposes.

I hav a roll of thread from the jewelry isle in Walmart or maybe Michaels. It is made for stringing beads if that helps you find it. I have used it for tying flat car loads and on work trains. It is coated with a rough text silver coating. I made some rusting looking with some old wood stain. The roll doesnt have and labels on it so i cant help you out with a name. But it is out there. Good Luck

my 2 cents
I had a friend (passed away) who would repair model ships for museums and alike, he used a type on "string" that was used for sails like what you might see on ships with block and tackle
he gave me a roll and I would run it thru a bead of silver paint, let dry and use it to "tie down" loads on a flat car, looked like a cable
you might check out a hobby shop that deals in this type of pro ship building supplies
wish I had more info for you but trust me it really looked good

bob

Bob is correct about the ship builders string. I use it on all my flat car loads as tie downs. You can get it on a spool in gray, black, brown & a lite tan. Just color it w/a silver paint pen or dip it in silver modeling paint & stretch it out over a board. It will get stiff from paint, but it still works. Make sure the paint doesn't build up.

Larry

How about picture frame hanging wire. It is twisted wire just like cable.

Seems like it would look good.
Doug

Grey Carpet Thread. Inexpensive, heavy guage, if you look close it's twisted. If you want to animate your buckets it will hold under stress and make sharp bends.

my 2¢

Scoot

I use polyester sewing thread. Comes in a light silver gray colour or just about any other color you would like. Its cheap, thin, twisted like cable, strong and you can find it in any sewing dept.

Wow. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm new to this forum and didn't expect so may responses in so short a time. Seems like I've found a great resource here. I'll let you know how I make out.

.... (I'm not going to power it, as that would make DCC inop in one direction.)
Anybody have experience modeling overhead wires?

Why would DCC only work one way with overhead wires? Isn't it just like one of the rails?

Hi Flyrdr,
Welcome to the forum, a helpful bunch of guys here and I guess a couple of ladies too.

As far as material for your cable I found that speaker wire with the insulation burnt-off, it doesn't strip very well, looks great and of course it is wire! The only thing its not as flexable as sewing thread if you want it to bend continuously?

I ended up using some polyester thread that I found in Wal-Mart. It was about the right color and diameter and was twisted like steel cable. I ended up weathering it with some rust colored chalk and it looks ok but I think I went a little heavy on the weathering. Also I need to put some weight in the coal bucket so it will keep the thread taut. All in all I'm satisfied. I'll try to post some pics if I can get my hands on a digital camera.

If the cable isn't going to move just give it a dab of glue that dries clear and work it into the thread. That will keep it in place so it won't uncoil on you.

I use saftey wire that is used to wire on grips for a dirtbike. You can get it at most motorcycle shops for about $3 a 50ft. roll, they have tree different sizes get the smallest, cant remember the dia. off hand. Anyways I take it and scuff it with 220 grit to give it the stranded look and then dullcoat it.

Back