model-train-help

Andy,
It's interesting you should bring up the idea of outting your slides on CD. I have hundred of slides of the UP, SP, and Santa Fe from the late 60's through the mid-70's. I haven't really looked at them for years because it such a hassle finding the right slide and then finding my viewer. I'm sure there's a wealth of prototype information locked away in those and they are slowly deteeriorating over the years. I wouldn't be interested in selling them but I also have no clue about how to convert them to a CD. What would you plan be to do that?

First to choose, then to fund purchase of, a high quality slide scanner with an auto loader.

I bought a Nikon slide scanner some years back - LS2000. Used a SCSI interface and it would scan single 35mm slides, or strip film up to 6 at a time, positive or negative. Unfortunately it was about the speed of a glacier.... the advancing kind, not the kind melting and crumbling from "global climate change"... LOL I had to wait anywhere from 90 to 200 seconds for it to complete a slide scan, then remove and insert the next slide, click to do it again. Babysitting this for 2 hours gave me a stiff neck and accomplished the scanning of less than two rolls of slides, and the resolve not to do it again.

(un?)fortunately this scanner quit working altogether about two years ago. It might be fixable but for the $$ I need to go invest in one with an auto loader. Even if it takes 2-3 minutes per slide, if I can stick a pile of at least one box (36-38 slides) into the hopper, click GO, and head off to bed, work, the train room, whatever - I can live with it.

I could select individual slides from my current collection and have them scanned at a photo lab, but that would also be time consuming as well as cost several bucks per slide. Because I do have thousands of slides - as well as thousands of negatives - it would be worth investing in a capable scanner.

Once I get all of my 1970s stuff scanned - which is, wild guess, about 2500 slides, I'd go make a representative selection of the best and most interesting shots, and put together a variety selection and then just burn them onto CDs. If I wanted to get even fancier I could print an image right onto the CDs but that would require more hardware or at least borrowing a CD imprinter. Then I'd in effect have to spam my own diesel list to make people aware, or else go list them on ebay with buy-it-now.

Andy

Back